Archives station-no directions available

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disregard. It's Washington, D.C. I can get directions from there to noma on red line. But not from noma to archives. Instead I'm directed to get off at judiciary square and walk .4 miles. Not a great thing to do in the heat with my father.

Steve, it would help if you would write in normal English and without assuming that your audience knows where you are. I worked on the DC system for 6 years in the 70's, have lived in the area for a couple of years in the late 80's and touristed there with grandchildren last year and I still am not certain what you are talking about. I am assuming that you are talking about having to walk 4/10 of a mile, or call it 0.4 miles, not 4 miles. What are you going to? Not the Archives station itself, I would assume. The National Archives itself? What/where is noma?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming you're trying to get between the Archives/Navy Memorial station and the NoMa station on the DC Metro here? Archives and Judiciary Sq are only 2 (longish) blocks apart. So transit directions, which default to shortest total time, suggests getting off there and walking instead of forcing a transfer. If you're using Google's transit planner there's an option to use "less walking;" activating that shows the transfer at Gallery Pl.

To get from NoMa to Archives, do this:

1. Board a Red Line train going in the direction of Shady Grove (some trains only go as far as Grosvenor and you can take one of those, too).
  2. Exit at Gallery Place/Chinatown.
  3. Go downstairs.
  4. Board a Green OR Yellow train going in the direction of Branch Avenue, Huntington, or Franconia/Springfield.
  5. Go one stop. Exit at Archives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter station.
In the future, you may get faster results by checking the WMATA map yourself. You can find it here:

http://wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

What/where is noma?
It's New York Ave-Florida Ave-Gallaudet U.
Ah, yes, the afterethought station. This station was not part of the original system, but added between Union Station and Rhode Island Avvenue quite a few years after the construction of the WMATA line throught here. This section, Rhode Island Avenue to DuPont Circle was the first part of WMATA to be opened, but without a NoMa station. which I tend to think of as the Gallaudet Station or the New York Avvenue Station, which it is really not. Considering it the Florida Avenue M Street station would make more sense. The Rhode Island Avenue to Union Station stretch was the longest run between stations in the original system. Having one at/near this location made sense from the beginning, but it was not in the plan.

I appreciate the assistance. I should have been a bit slower in posting my question. When I got the walking directions from judiciary square I assumed that archives was closed. Then I posted my poorly worded question. A few minutes later I decided to check arrival/departure times at archives and determined the station was indeed open. I apologize for the confusion.

I do believe I was using English. Noma is part of the station name on the metro app. And I did type .4 miles. I should not have assumed that people would know these stations are in washington.

Back