Are Bi-Level Cars on the NEC in Amtraks future?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The NJT bi-levels already have a baggage rack overhead..."

On the upper level. Not the lower. I've ridden in both, and having heard about Amtrak evaluating the design, the first thought entering my mind the first time I rode the lower level was "There is no way...". Even with AFII-style seating, you'd be using your (one small) suitcase as a permanent legrest, and if you're in a window seat, getting in and out of those is...well, I hope your seatmate is someone you're travelling with :) .

And those cars are supposedly as tall as they can get and still fit through the Hudson+East River tubes.

---PCJ,

(first (guest) post)

I do not rule out that increased capacity bi-level Amtrak coaches based on the NJT design will one day appear.
You can believe that, but it ain't going to happen.

If you examine the current scenerios for increased capacity, they are for longer trains and more frequent operation, both of which are currently not possible.
Why not?

And those cars are supposedly as tall as they can get and still fit through the Hudson+East River tubes.
You are correct.

(first (guest) post)
Welcome!

I do not rule out that increased capacity bi-level Amtrak coaches based on the NJT design will one day appear.
You can believe that, but it ain't going to happen.
I agree. It is very unlikely to happen. After you put in floor level luggage racks and two toilets per car and Amtrak seat spacing, the number of additional seats you get over a single level car is minimal and you never get enough luggage space. And all this for an additional almost a million per car. Not worth it.

The standard single level equipment has been specified, and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

If you examine the current scenerios for increased capacity, they are for longer trains and more frequent operation, both of which are currently not possible.
Why not?
Exactly. Trains can easily grow to 12 to 14 cars, and except in the morning and afternoon two rush hours each specifically through NYP, there is oodles of track capacity available for additional trains. The problem is lack of rolling stock and traction power, not lack of track capacity. And with the enhanced high density signaling going in on the NEC in NJ track capacity will become even less of an issue.

I dont think even on NEC the demand is that great for Amtrak to need to use bilevel cars.

If Amtrak dmand rose, the first thing Amtrak should do is buy more single leveled car and increase frequency.

The NJT bi-levels already have a baggage rack overhead so that should not be a problem.
That luggage rack can barely hold a briefcase or a coat. You're not putting any suitcase on that rack, save a garment bag. Nothing else thicker will fit and even a stuffed garment bag is pushing things, unless you unfold it. And then you're using someone else's luggage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back