Are there any station stops on EB that have WiFi?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PRae_Train

Service Attendant
I remember when I took the SWC and stopped in Fullerton, I was able to connect to their WiFi at the station from onboard. Limited range, but it worked.

Are there any stops along the EB where I might be able to connect on my laptop?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, Chicago, Seattle and Minneapolis have wifi in the stations. I've found it best to travel with my own "wifi hotspot," which can be a USB stick connected to Verizon or AT&T, or an iPhone with Verizon 4G or 3G access connected to the computer with Bluetooth. That way I can get Internet access anywhere on the EB route where cell phones or devices can be connected, often along an Interstate highway. Downside is that it costs.

This explains the possibilities:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2343913,00.asp

Standing on the platform at Shelby, I could use the unsecured wifi of the Oil City Saloon nearby. This was a year and a half ago, and they might have secured it since then.

Thanks--I'll try where I can, but it's not critical for me. My phone is a "dumb" cell, and will suffice where I can get a signal.

Staples has an open wireless connection, and the coffee shop in the Detroit Lakes station also has open wireless.

Both of these are very quick station stops, typically in the middle of the night, so it's unlikely you'll be able to connect for any meaningful period of time. But they are there.

Two weeks ago I had 3G Verizon service all the way to Williston WB on 7,,, then it was only spotty at the other station stops,,, nothing like the hyped Verizon mapped,,,, I never noticed WiFi anywhere on the train ,, although the only time I had to do without at Glacier was at Many Glacier (couldn't load their lobby version,,, life isn't long enough) and only spotty at best - WiFi was very good at the Belton in WG and Dancing Bears Inn at East Glacier

Milwaukee has wifi in the station and is a smoke stop. I have on occasion been able to get a wireless signal from on the train, but most times not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back