Are threads locked when misleading information is posted?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulM

Engineer
A recent thread in which someone asked how sell an eVoucher was locked almost immediately. The first response was that eVouchers are not transferable, so one can't sell them. He then quoted Amtrak policy:

Who May Use the Funds in an eVoucher?

The funds in an eVoucher will be held in the name of the Primary Passenger of the original reservation (the first passenger listed in a reservation). An eVoucher can only be redeemed by the person whose name appears on it; however, that person can choose to apply it to someone else’s travel.
A Philadelphia lawyer anyone? I don't know if you would call it selling, but about 2 years ago my son made a big mistake and wound up with a $2100 eVoucher that he couldn't use before it expired. I used the voucher 4 or five times during its period of validity, each time reimbursing my son for the amount I used.

I don't recall all the details, but the first time I tried it, I called Amtrak and explained what I wanted to do. The agent then applied the part of the voucher using information in the email Amtrak had sent my son at the time the voucher was issued, and which he had forwarded to me. From then on, I am pretty sure I applied it to subsequent travel via the internet. If I recall the email address of the voucher owner was needed, as well as the voucher #.

So the owner of the voucher may not have "transferred" it; but he only indirectly applied it to someone else's travel, in the sense he emailed the information needed to apply it.

Since Amtrak doesn't know what does or does not exchange hands between the two parties mentioned in the policy, and since apparently you can applied it via the internet, the policy is in effect says you can sell it. And in my opinion, that is only right and just.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back