Argentina - Cactus Railway

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traveller

Train Attendant
Or more commonly known as the 'Train to the Clouds'. But it's official name is 'Tren a las Nubes'.

Visiting the area close to Chorrillos the stand out feature was forests of large cacti with an ancient rail line running through them.
To be found in Salta Province close to Estacion Chorrillos, which is one of the few original stations remaining. Here are a few photos, will post a few more later.

More info here: Tren a las Nubes - Wikipedia

s10155a.jpg

s10108a.jpg

s10109a.jpg

Last edited:
Stunning. From the Wikipedia article that you kindly linked: "The Tren a las Nubes (English: Train to the Clouds) is a tourist train service in Salta Province, Argentina. The service runs along the eastern part of the Salta–Antofagasta railway line of the Belgrano Railway (also known as the "C-14" line) that connects the Argentine Northwest with the border in the Andes mountain range, over 4,220 metres (13,850 ft) above mean sea level,[5] the fifth highest railway in the world."

By comparison, the highest altitude reached by the California Zephyr is either 9,237 or 9, 239 or 9,270 feet, pick your source, reached around the Moffat Tunnel near Winter Park, CO. The topic of altitude sickness has come up occasionally on the Zephyr thread (see, e.g., California Zephyr discussion) where consensus is that most people needn't worry. But nearly 14,000 feet is another beast entirely.

Gracias, Traveller.

Looks like it is on the Broad Gauge (5'6") part of the Argentine network. The other gauge in use in Argentina is Meter Gauge.

Going up to 14,000' from 5-6000' quickly can give you all sorts of headache for a little while at least, until you get acclimatized. I have done that a couple of time in the Himalayas, where it is easy to do since the low passes are 14,000'+. The highest pass that I have crossed is a little over 18,000' but that was starting with acclimatization at 12,000'.

Last edited:
Or more commonly known as the 'Train to the Clouds'. But it's official name is 'Tren a las Nubes'.

Visiting the area close to Chorrillos the stand out feature was forests of large cacti with an ancient rail line running through them.
To be found in Salta Province close to Estacion Chorrillos, which is one of the few original stations remaining. Here are a few photos, will post a few more later.

More info here: Tren a las Nubes - Wikipedia

View attachment 34145

View attachment 34146

View attachment 34147
It is puzzling how the ballast is almost all the way to top of rail. Does the RR not use tampers and ballast regulators?

According to the linked Wikipedia article, the line is meter gauge.

I understand that there are three gauges in use in Argentina, broad, standard and meter.
Wow. That must be a bit of distortion in the width side by the lens. Thanks for finding the fact and posting!
indeed, that must make inspection difficult as you can't see the spikes.
I have found this to be quite common on trackage that is not used very frequently. It might have something to do with reducing the cost of delivering ballast, essentially storing ballast on the track. I have never seen this done on frequently used track specially where higher speeds are allowed.

An example that I came across yesterday while watching some videos is on large segments of the remote main line in Pakistan between the Attock Indus Bridge and Peshawar and the branch to Kohat in the Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa Province.

Last edited:
Back