Arriving in Philadelphia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it worthwhile to go into Macys, formerly Wannamaker's, at lunchtime and hear the famous Wannamaker organ - world's largest working pipe organ. Free, of course, and you can sit down in the lady's shoe dept. Rittenhouse Square is active and interesting, kind of like Union Square in NYC.

I found it worthwhile to go into Macys, formerly Wannamaker's, at lunchtime and hear the famous Wannamaker organ - world's largest working pipe organ. Free, of course, and you can sit down in the lady's shoe dept. Rittenhouse Square is active and interesting, kind of like Union Square in NYC.
And in December they have a light show that goes with the organ music.

For that matter if anyone in your group wants to do some shopping they have a visitor's desk where if so show out of area ID, you can discount passes.

They do the same thing in other major downtown areas where they still maintain a store (Boston, NYC, Chicago, etc).

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Rental cars are available in Lancaster, not far from the Amtrak station.

We always have a meal at Miller's near Ronk, PA. Delicious Amish food

and you can watch the Amish farmers tending their fields from the rear

dining room.
Miller's is not real Amish food. It is a big fancy place to make tourists think they are eating it. Way overpriced to for what you get.
Overpriced for sure. Not enough for what you pay.

That it is. Best place to meet is at the Eagle. Just remember the catch phrase "meet me at the eagle". :)

The "Keystone" from Philly out to Lancaster was mentioned by Wolfspirit and I'm going to try to mod our trip to add a round-trip on it to Harrisburg. I will call the Amtrak 800 number tomorrow to see what can be done.

Anyway I looked at the Keystone and 2 different coach seating are listed. So what's the difference, other than price? The Amtrak verbiage doesn't make the difference clear.

The "Keystone" from Philly out to Lancaster was mentioned by Wolfspirit and I'm going to try to mod our trip to add a round-trip on it to Harrisburg. I will call the Amtrak 800 number tomorrow to see what can be done.

Anyway I looked at the Keystone and 2 different coach seating are listed. So what's the difference, other than price? The Amtrak verbiage doesn't make the difference clear.
Are you referring to the "VALUE" versus "FLEXIBLE" fares? There are descriptions of the fare categories if you click on them.

Not Value versus Flexible. Don't have the Amtrak page in front of me but, going by memory, what I saw was all coach fares for the Keystone. 2 of the fares looked identical except for price with the pricer being about 2x as much without enough description for me to see the difference.

Nope you're right. It's Value and Flexible fares.

Big difference is listed as Refundable with Restrictions (Value) vs Fully Refundable (Flexible).

We will be 3 adults, 2 are seniors.

So other than Refunds and Price, the seats are the same, Unreserved. But what else, if anything, is involved?

'Precise the help.

Looks like we are set. Winter Park to Philly. 2 nights in Philly for too much but the Rhodin Museum is a Bucket List item. Then the Keystone to Harrisburg and a week there for Amish Country and the Horseshoe Curve, another Bucket List item. Then the Keystone back to Philly by 10 and south to Winter Park at noon and _before_ the Pope hits Philly ☺ thank god!

Thanks to everyone that helped!

Cvt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back