Article: Fed-up Fliers Turn to Rail Travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another article about Amtrak's increasing ridership:
http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/articles....mp;aid=36596550

Nice find!! I really like how their second option was to look at the bus schedule, not the airlines. Now if only Acela could expand down to the rest of the nation.
I noticed that the quote was from a travel agent in RI. When we experienced record flooding at the end of March/early April, the road to TF Green airport (PVD) was flooded and there were many flight cancellations. And amtrak was down, too. So the only way to travel actually was via bus.

Why does train travel have to be "more comfortable?" What is "uncomfortable" about a comfy coach seat the size of a first-class airline seat or better yet, your own room complete with bathroom and room service?

Jeremy

Why does train travel have to be "more comfortable?" What is "uncomfortable" about a comfy coach seat the size of a first-class airline seat or better yet, your own room complete with bathroom and room service?
Jeremy
comfort = size / time

Yeah Amtrak's seats are big compared to airlines, but it also takes a lot longer to get places. If someone has to spend 24 hours traveling by train then they are going to need more room than spending 5 hours in a plane going the same distance to consider the accommodations equal.

Also consider how people would feel about cruise ships selling rooms the size of Amtrak's. They would lose a lot of business. Heck for what some people pay for rooms on Amtrak I can pay for an entire cruise "complete with bathroom and room service"

Jeremy
comfort = size / time

Yeah Amtrak's seats are big compared to airlines, but it also takes a lot longer to get places. If someone has to spend 24 hours traveling by train then they are going to need more room than spending 5 hours in a plane going the same distance to consider the accommodations equal.

Also consider how people would feel about cruise ships selling rooms the size of Amtrak's. They would lose a lot of business. Heck for what some people pay for rooms on Amtrak I can pay for an entire cruise "complete with bathroom and room service"
It is true that some bedrooms can be overpriced, depending on certain factors.

First is availability-how many bedrooms are available for that day.

Next is dates-is it the busy season?

Next would be booking-are you booking early?

I'm sure others could add more.

On a cruise ship, there is always x amount of rooms, far more than on a train, regardless of dates.

During peak season for cruise ships, aren't the prices higher?

If you book later on a cruise ship, the price goes up, doesn't it?

One of the things you will see here is book as early as you can to get the best price-you can book 11 months out.

The catch is that travel agents will grab some of the rooms & drive the price up-so book then check regularly to see if you can get a better deal.

We have found the bedrooms to be quite comfortable for a longer train ride, and prefer to have them whenever possible.

We have ridden in roomettes for shorter (9 hour) trips.

Jeremy
comfort = size / time

It is true that some bedrooms can be overpriced, depending on certain factors.

First is availability-how many bedrooms are available for that day.

Next is dates-is it the busy season?

Next would be booking-are you booking early?

I'm sure others could add more.

On a cruise ship, there is always x amount of rooms, far more than on a train, regardless of dates.

During peak season for cruise ships, aren't the prices higher?

If you book later on a cruise ship, the price goes up, doesn't it?

One of the things you will see here is book as early as you can to get the best price-you can book 11 months out.

The catch is that travel agents will grab some of the rooms & drive the price up-so book then check regularly to see if you can get a better deal.

We have found the bedrooms to be quite comfortable for a longer train ride, and prefer to have them whenever possible.

We have ridden in roomettes for shorter (9 hour) trips.
What are you rambling on about anyway? Let me put it this way, my last cruise was $325 after taxes and tips for 5 nights. That included a room much bigger than an Amtrak bedroom, food much better than Amtrak, service way better than Amtrak, and everything was much cleaner than Amtrak. And this was on Carnival, the cheap cruise line. I did take the train to New Orleans and let me tell you my comfort level was much better on the boat than on Amtrak.

What are you rambling on about anyway? Let me put it this way, my last cruise was $325 after taxes and tips for 5 nights. That included a room much bigger than an Amtrak bedroom, food much better than Amtrak, service way better than Amtrak, and everything was much cleaner than Amtrak. And this was on Carnival, the cheap cruise line. I did take the train to New Orleans and let me tell you my comfort level was much better on the boat than on Amtrak.
Maybe, but you could not hear the train whistle from the boat. :rolleyes:

Jeremy
comfort = size / time

Actually, I have paid more on a cruise for the size of an Amtrak Bedroom and get a bathroom and room service on Amtrak as well.

Look at all that water! :eek: Think Ill go up and have a few drinks, play some Bingo, some shuffleboard and check out all the hot widows on this cruise! As John McEnroe says:"You can't be serious!" We have lots of members that like cruises and trains, and use both, but as someone has said, when youve seen one ocean youve seen them all!The new monsterous ships are something else also!

Eric lives in Hawaii, Id wager that hed rather have trains to ride than cruise boats!And the quickie cruises that run out of NOL and Galveston might be "cheap" but where do you go, and what do you see? Give me the CS/EB/CZ anyday!

My cruise was all expenses paid across the Pacific to visit beautiful SE ASIA, went on a Gambling cruise from Galveston once, must say they are overated! Look, theres Gopher and Captain Stubbing! :lol: "The Love Boat, that wild and Kooky Love Boat!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
And it's hard to get to Albuquerque on a cruise ship.
It's tough to get to Salt Lake City or Glenwood Springs by Cruise Ship! :D

Seriously, I've never been on a cruise ship, probably never will get to go on one either.

Have played with the idea, but don't think it will ever happen. We live way inland, we prefer not to fly & really haven't found a place we really want to go to by ship.

(Was I rambling?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back