Ask Your Government: High-Speed Passenger Rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DivMiler

Lead Service Attendant
I just saw this at The Post's website. It is a short (about 3-minute) answer to this question:

America should build a nationwide high-speed (300+ mph) electric commuter train system that will connect every major city, (like the French TGV & Japan's Bullet Train) You can't hijack a train, They are greener than planes. Why not build this?
I don't know much about the topic, but there it is.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-e...high-speed.html

I just saw this at The Post's website. It is a short (about 3-minute) answer to this question:
Sigh. While I love the positive way in which this attempts to frame the issue, I'm not sure it accomplishes anything except besides traffic to the Washington Post's website....

It's more of a short video that doesn't answer the question.... More of a "here's one politician who says sure, it's a good idea, but it's difficult", and "here's another politician who says pretty much the same thing in just as vague a way".... :( I'm tempted to try to put together a three-minute video answer to this question, or at least script one out without filming it, because I feel a little bad criticizing this one without being able to "put my money where my mouth is" and demonstrate what I think would have been a far more useful news segment, but I'm not likely to get around to it. You'll just have to accept my assertion that I could do better if the Washington Post paid me to put one together ;)

Also, saying "Acela reaches speeds of almost 85 miles per hour" is just plain wrong. Either say "Acela reaches speeds of almost 150 miles per hour" or say "Acela averages speeds of almost 85 miles per hour". There's a huge difference between these two relatively accurate statements and the statement given in the clip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back