Aspects of our hobby

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
A recent poster said she did not know much about motors and other mechanical aspets of this hobby. I assured her I did not either. That we have a very varied and complex hobby and nobody can possibly know about all ot it.

That caused me to think I would attempt to make a list of the different aspects of the railroading hobby.

Here goes:

current passenger trains

proposed development new speedster trains

past passenger trains ( i.e. pre-Amtrak)

subways

commuter

freight

regional emphasis

modeling

locomotive mechanical operation

numerous mechanical points,stuff I could never imagine and thus can't list sensibly

signaling, trackwork,bridges

stations

diesel locomotive

steam locomotives

electric locomotives

massive info to be had on underground NYC operations of all kinds, tunnels, etc.

steam engine excursions

other tourist and excursion type trains

foreign lines, all aspects as noted above for U.S For example, growing up in the 50's I was aware of the

vast improvement in Canadian ld rail in the early,mid 50's

museums

history of the pullman company, the Budd company, such as that

the many many designs of sleeping cars, way more than Amtrak has today.

the info contained in employee timetables--very different from public timetables .

railroad historical figures, such as James R. Hill, Henry M. Flagler, various Vanderbilts, ,etc,Robert .

Young, the Budd brothers, "Champ" Davis,etc,etc

This is what I came up. I will stop here. I am sure there is much that can be added. Perhaps some of it should have been combined.

My point is that while I am sure many people can claim some knowledge of say 10,12,15 of these 20 or so points, surely nobody, nobody at all, is equally interested in all of them. I cannot imagine that.

Anyway, I will repeat what I just said on another post, Alan and others have said, almost any railroad question can probably be answered by somebody or another on this forum.This considering our own diversity. We are of different ages, lvie in different places and have had different experiences.Put us all together,we can do anything..........!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill - I have a friend who is one of the world's leading experts on RR crossing gates, how they work, what makes them work, etc. He is retired now but used to travel all over the world testifying in court cases when there was an alleged gate problem.

There is a fellow who lives in my county who collects steam whistles and electric engine horns. Has a really loud horn under the hood of his pick-up truck. People take notice when he blows them a toot!

Can't leave out the entire sub-culture of modeling... :)
You are so right. I was sure I would leave out entire categories. That is so important I just now added it myself.
Rail Photography is another aspect that cuts across many of those listed above - I can page through a site like railpictures.net for hours sometimes looking at all of the older pictures. Hopefully one of these days I'll get a decent dSLR and start shooting some of my own.

Here's a few more:

urban light-rail

historical rail transportation, including heritage streetcars, cable-cars

alternative rail transportation, including funiculars, people-movers

narrow-gauge railroads

wide-gauge railroads

children's trains (rideable trains with track gauge typically 7.5" to 24")

industrial equipment on rails (shipping cranes, steel-mills)

rail tourism: selecting itineraries, creative use of reservation systems, rail sightseeing

Cool list!

Perhaps we could list the aspects we're interested in so we can all get to know each other a little better!

I'll start (using the ideas already posted):

Current passenger trains

Proposed development of new speedster trains

Subways

Commuter

Freight

Locomotive mechanical operation

Signaling

Diesel locomotives

Electric locomotives

Employee timetables

Urban light rail

Historical rail transportation (heritage streetcars, cable cars)

Alternative rail transportation (funiculars, people movers)

Rail tourism!

Gosh, you guys have pretty much everything covered! I can't think of anything else!

You forget the reason I am a railfan--

The people.

Meeting people on the train, the kinds of people you meet, it is absolutely incredible and amazing!

The people.

Meeting people on the train, the kinds of people you meet, it is absolutely incredible and amazing!
That's a great one. Some of the most interesting people I have ever met were on the train I was on, too.

The people.

That's a great one. Some of the most interesting people I have ever met were on the train I was on, too.
This is why I am interested to see how much I am going to like my first sleeper. I am of the opinion that the best thing about riding Amtrak is the people-- and the best way to get that is to sit in coach for hours, or days... Sequestered, I don't know. It doesn't sound like 'Amtrak' to me. Too much quiet.

I love the unusual people, the loud people, the quiet people, the crazy people... You don't get that in any other mode of transportation! ANYWHERE!

current passenger trains
This is certainly an interest of mine, to the extent that the current trains help me get places I happen to be interested in going.

proposed development new speedster trains
And there are several factions within this group.

You could divide it into the 110 MPH and the 220 MPH factions, though even that is a bit of an oversimplification since some of the 220 MPH crowd hopes that isn't the ultimate limit, and there are current services that top out at 125 MPH (the Northeast Regional and certain NJT trains and perhaps some MARC trains) and 150 MPH (the Acela Express).

And even in the 220 MPH or so crowd, there are the people who want a bunch of isolated corridors (and I haven't convinced myself that that crowd is hoping to see more than one train an hour across their expensive track, much in the way there's only one Acela Express an hour in each direction), but I think our goal should be to have an interconnected national network, with a goal of 15-20 trains per hour on each track, but rarely with any given route having service more than once every hour or two, so that express trains can run to more distant cities, since I think the penalty for making an intermediate stop in some city that's neither your origin or destination is likely to end up being 20-40 minutes, given that going through a metro area probably involves an average of somewhere very roughly around 50 MPH for 20-50 miles.

This is of some interest to me, mostly where it provides clues as to what sorts of service might work in the future.

subwayscommuter

freight

regional emphasis

modeling
Subways, commuter rail, and freight are all of interest to me to varying degrees, especially in terms of present passenger service, and ways in which both passenger and freight service could be improved in the future. Massachusetts and Rhode Island are probably my main areas of interest, with some interest in Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, New York, and Philadelphia and beyond as well.

Modeling is not something I really have time for at the moment, but it's on the list of things I'd do if I had infinite spare time and money.

locomotive mechanical operationnumerous mechanical points,stuff I could never imagine and thus can't list sensibly

signaling, trackwork,bridges

stations

diesel locomotive

steam locomotives

electric locomotives
Most of these tend to be of interest to me to the extent that they have a significant impact on how the overall system works. I don't really care exactly what frequency the PRR signal system uses to send each cab signal aspect, but what headways can be achieved with a given signal system is of significant interest to me.

Steam locomotives are somehow just plain fascinating even if they are unlikely to have any significant commercial value in the future.

Anyway, I will repeat what I just said on another post, Alan and others have said, almost any railroad question can probably be answered by somebody or another on this forum.This considering our own diversity. We are of different ages, lvie in different places and have had different experiences.Put us all together,we can do anything..........!!!
Though occasionally I do come up with questions nobody here knows the answer to. Like: if you use a different type of wire than the French use for the TGV catenary, or different tension, can you push the top speed above 350 MPH?

Here's a few more:
urban light-rail

alternative rail transportation, including funiculars, people-movers

narrow-gauge railroads

wide-gauge railroads

children's trains (rideable trains with track gauge typically 7.5" to 24")

industrial equipment on rails (shipping cranes, steel-mills)

rail tourism: selecting itineraries, creative use of reservation systems, rail sightseeing
Great Idea Bill & Jackal!

Here goes-

current passenger trains

stations

steam locomotives

steam engine excursions

other tourist and excursion type trains

foreign lines, all aspects as noted above for U.S

museums

history of the pullman company, the Budd company, such as that

the many many designs of sleeping cars, way more than Amtrak has today.

railroad historical figures, such as James R. Hill, Henry M. Flagler, various Vanderbilts, ,etc,Robert .

Young, the Budd brothers, "Champ" Davis,etc,etc

Rail Photography (no experience, but interesting)

private car ownership and patronage

Dinner Trains

Just for starters-you guys have peaked interest in all these areas for me. I started on this board asking luggage questions & it's been a lot of fun learning from all of you!!! Thanks so much!!! :D

Perhaps there could be a category of railroad music. What I would have in mind would presuppose a person is interested in more than that. That just by itself, would be kind of a stretch.

Then there's railroad tie collecting.Here's 284 of them.
Before I followed that link, I assumed you were talking about the things the British call sleepers, and was wondering why anyone would want large quantities of Creosote in their back yard (on the assumption that concrete ties have not yet reached collectable status, although I suppose the defective NEC ties may have).

(I am a little confused by that Wikipedia article. It seems to be simultaneously saying that creosote is bad in lots of ways, but that it doesn't harm people who spend lots of time working with it. It's not really obvious to me how this all can be true simultaneously.)

Well, remember, some people collect crockery and silverware from trains.

Then there is the peculiarly British hobby of train spotting, sometimes called "the world's most boring hobby" which, I gather, means identifying minute differences in almost identical locomotives.

The people.

This is why I am interested to see how much I am going to like my first sleeper. I am of the opinion that the best thing about riding Amtrak is the people-- and the best way to get that is to sit in coach for hours, or days... Sequestered, I don't know. It doesn't sound like 'Amtrak' to me. Too much quiet.

I love the unusual people, the loud people, the quiet people, the crazy people... You don't get that in any other mode of transportation! ANYWHERE!
I guess you have never rode a UTA bus down State St on a Friday then! :lol: Lots of 'interesting people' :p

Then there is the peculiarly British hobby of train spotting, sometimes called "the world's most boring hobby" which, I gather, means identifying minute differences in almost identical locomotives.
Not quite. Slight differences in locos is a spin off, but the main aim to see (spot) all the locos/trainsets/coaches that are about.

(And the worlds most boring hobby is golf.........)

I suspect there are a few who like myself are actively involved in railroad and rail transit preservation / restoration, both professionally and as a hobby. There are a lot of rail museums, operating and static out there that need more visitors, volunteers and financial backing, a natural outlet for those of us who love railroading.

Gord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back