Assigned Seating on 28/8 PDX-CHI?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole737

Train Attendant
Hi all! In 2014 I rode PDX-CHI-ALB on 28/8 and 48. Both legs were first come first serve for seating - you were given a car and you could sit where you pleased. I did this trip again in 2015 and the LSL portion was also like this, but for the Builder they assigned seats (much to my displeasure). I was given a seat with a bad window alignment and had to spend most of my time in the observation car (which is always a plus anyway). Now I ask - Are the seats numbered, and would it be appropriate of me to ask the car attendant when assigning seats the exact number of the seat I want? I'm traveling alone in coach all the way for the 3rd time - and I thrive on great views. Preferably right side towards the front of the coach. Is the Empire Builder still running on these assigned seats? They weren't in 2014 but were in 2015. Thanks for any info ya'll can give me. :)

-CA

I think it's actually up to the attendant at the door when you board. I've had them go both ways on many different trains. FWIW, you can always ask to change your seat if you don't like it. Unless you get an attendant who is a control freak, saying you really want to watch the scenery and being nice will go a long way towards getting a seat you like.

I highly doubt that you can ever get the exact seat number that you want, but there is a way to maximize your chances of getting a decent window seat: Try to be close to the front of the boarding line and politely ask for a decent window seat so you can take in the views. Nine out of ten times I have gotten what I asked for if I had a decent CA and a seat was available. Since you are boarding at an origination point there is a very good chance of accomplishing this IF you are near the head of the line. On one of my past trips I was assigned an aisle seat next to a person that kept his curtains closed in the middle of the day and on the other side was the wall around the stairwell. Not good! I scoped out the car and looked at other passengers destinations and pounced on a seat that was vacated before they were even off the train. Some conductors frown on this, but I had no problems. Make sure you move your destination card with you and stay on the same car. Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I have been first on the train both years I've done it. The only the that brothers me and the other passengers (I think) is I like to move around and explore a lot. So I'm in and out of my seat multiple times a day going to different parts of the train getting different views. SO - How would the bulkhead be? It has larger legroom so it's easier to get around the person next to me - but no train tables and you're staring at a wall the whole time. What a would you reccomend?

Thanks for the info! I have been first on the train both years I've done it. The only the that brothers me and the other passengers (I think) is I like to move around and explore a lot. So I'm in and out of my seat multiple times a day going to different parts of the train getting different views. SO - How would the bulkhead be? It has larger legroom so it's easier to get around the person next to me - but no train tables and you're staring at a wall the whole time. What a would you reccomend?
For me, personally, I would recommend any window seat EXCEPT a bulkhead seat because there is no tray and no leg rest. The best you can hope for is a good seatmate. Some people like a bulkhead because on a Superliner there are certain bulkhead seats that provide plenty of room to stretch out and sleep on the floor in front of their seat. Ugh!

I am not sure "getting up and getting exercise and visiting lounge and or dining car" should be a problem for anyone. That's why one travels by train so you can do just that instead of being confined to your seat for the duration of the trip. If your seatmate in aisle seat gets out and uses laptop, gps, etc. and boxes you in he should not mind if you need to get in and out of y our seat.

Admittedly, I travel long distance trains in sleeper so I cannot imagine sitting in a coach seat for three days and two nights without moving about. I would think that the normal sleeping quiet hours 10PM to 7AM you would want to rest in your seat and only get up to use bathroom, etc.

personally I dislike the bulkhead, its minus everything. True those floor sleepers love it. I like a good window on both sides and being able to see out the window ahead somewhat. Unfortunately, there are those who demand the curtains pulled the entire trip, blocking any opportunity to see outside. Had a passenger years ago who continually asked passengers on both sides of the aisle to pull their curtains, she hated looking outside and argued with anyone who said they loved the scenery.

I was the first passenger to arrive at my car on the Zephyr, out of Chicago, and was given the window bulkhead seat. Not good, as a massive, morose and sleepy guy sat next to me snoring in the aisle seat. Felt like a prison sentence, trapped! I spent most of the time in the lounge. Aisle seat for quick escape for sure next time!

Ed. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back