Assistant Conductor Trainee vs Conductor Trainee

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleeter

Service Attendant
I was looking at available positions on Amtrak.com, at while comparing a job in Pontiac, MI and one in Sacramento, CA (I'm actually waiting for an opening in the Northeast, since that's where I live), I saw that one was called Assistant Passenger Conductor Trainee, and one was just Passenger Conductor Trainee. Are these the same, or is it easier to become a full conductor with PCT?

I was looking at available positions on Amtrak.com, at while comparing a job in Pontiac, MI and one in Sacramento, CA (I'm actually waiting for an opening in the Northeast, since that's where I live), I saw that one was called Assistant Passenger Conductor Trainee, and one was just Passenger Conductor Trainee. Are these the same, or is it easier to become a full conductor with PCT?
I suspect that the two postings were written by two different managers in different parts of the country. All enter the craft as Assistant Conductors. It is the same.

Pretty common for slight different names of jobs and departments that you will work in when looking for jobs at Amtrak.

Be sure to check ever week, and do a full listing, not just a title or department. When conductor position is posted the jobs pop up all around the system at the same general time. (Think school)

Best of luck.

Thanks for the help!

Is the 2 years of work and school a solid requirement, or will they bend it if you do well in hiring? I'm currently starting my second year of college, which will qualify me for the position. If a spot opens up before then, could I apply?

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned above, all new hire trainmen start out as Assitant Conductors.

It takes about one year for training, experience and certification to become a full Conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back