AT booking questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allypet

Service Attendant
Hi. I'm a new poster and long time lurker. I have learned a lot form this forum. I just have a few questions. I have taken many trips on Amtrak, as well as on the AT, but now I want to book 11 months out to save a little and get the lowest bucket. I would like to have some knowledge before I speak to an agent so I know what is possible and whats not.

1- I want to book a trip for 5. I want to possibly add just one sleeper to my trip for me and my wife (and a bathroom for everyone). My kids (in their 20's) don't mind sleeping in coach. The online system does not allow this type of booking. Can a agent do this? (I want to pay for everyone), also I don't think I can spit the trip as I am only using one vehicle and I understand all PNR need a vehicle on the AT?

2- If later I want to add another person (like a boy or girl friend) later on to the trip is this a problem on the AT? From what I could find here any future purchases are at the original bucket. Is this true on the AT also?

3- Can passengers be canceled without cancelling the entire reservation and still get a refund?

Thanks again fro a knowledgeable forum and I look forward to what folks have to say!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I'm a new poster and long time lurker. I have learned a lot form this forum. I just have a few questions. I have taken many trips on Amtrak, as well as on the AT, but now I want to book 11 months out to save a little and get the lowest bucket. I would like to have some knowledge before I speak to an agent so I know what is possible and whats not.

1- I want to book a trip for 5. I want to possibly add just one sleeper to my trip for me and my wife (and a bathroom for everyone). My kids (in their 20's) don't mind sleeping in coach. The online system does not allow this type of booking. Can a agent do this? (I want to pay for everyone), also I don't think I can spit the trip as I am only using one vehicle and I understand all PNR need a vehicle on the AT?

2- If later I want to add another person (like a boy or girl friend) later on to the trip is this a problem on the AT? From what I could find here any future purchases are at the original bucket. Is this true on the AT also?

3- Can passengers be canceled without cancelling the entire reservation and still get a refund?

Thanks again fro a knowledgeable forum and I look forward to what folks have to say!

Welcome to AU! :hi:

I think this would be a job for a Customer Svc. agent on the phone. I book on the AT a lot, but only for myself. It shouldn't be a problem as long as they do it. Yes, all pax. need to be in at least one vehicle. There is not limit to the # of pax. in the vehicle as long as they fit. I'm sure that as long as the coach seat is available, you could add the 6th person onto the existing itinerary. Not sure about removing a person though. It might involve a fee to remove the person from the itinerary but, again, check with the agent.

Remember if you book your kids in coach, officially they are NOT allowed to use the bathroom in your bedroom since they are not sleeper passengers. It completely depends on the sleeper car attendant whether he or she will allow them to come visit you in the sleeper and use the bathroom there. It is not a big deal to let kids use their parents' bathroom but some Amtrak employees are known to be a pain in the posterior and would want to enforce the rules completely. Maybe you should consider tipping them in advance and build up a good rapport and you might stand a chance, but again, as I said, be prepared for the most unfriendly behavior too.

I can not answer your specific questions but agree with prior poster that your adult kids could have problems visiting you and your wife in the sleeper. The Sleeping Car Attendant (SCA) could be on a power trip and make it difficult for them to visit you.

When you call the Reservation Agent to make the reservation specifically ask for a Bedroom (they are the only regular accomodations with a bathroom) in car number 5344 (if going southbound) or car number 5244 (if going northbound). These sleeper cars are next to coach car 5310/5210. Then when you check in at the station ask the ticket agent to have the coach passengers in your party assigned to car number 5310 (if going southbound) or car number 5210 (if going northbound). By doing this, your kids will be in the adjacent car and will have to possibly deal with only one SCA when they visit.

One more thing, coach and sleeping passengers have separate dining facilities. You may not be able to eat together unless you are able to work things during the check-in process.

While I would highly recommend calling the number provided by Ryan for any such reservation as they specialize in the AT and know the nuances of the AT, all of what you want is possible. In fact, you do not even have to have one car per PNR. It is possible for an agent to piggy back on another PNR. And I would highly recommend doing this if you think that you could be adding or subtracting people from your reservation. If you modify the main reservation, you run the risk of things repricing on you at that time. If you book your initial sleeper res on one PNR, then you can put the coach tickets on a separate PNR and link that to the sleeper PNR.

Do note that future purchases will be at the current bucket, not the original. There is no way around that! And again, if you put everything on one PNR, the entire reservation could reprice to current bucket levels if you make changes. Depends on the reason for the change and the skill of the agent.

You guys are great thanks! I called last night, but I called the 800 USA RAIL number. I didn't know that there were different agents for the AT. I guess I have to callback just to reconfirm. But this is what the agent told me. I can subtract a passenger and get a refund without canceling the trip. I can also add a passenger later without an auto being booked, but it would have to be a seperate booking and they would have to link the booking and it would be at the current bucket. I never knew that someone couldn't visit the sleeper cars. I guess I will book a family room for everyone, my wife would have to get over the fact of not having an in room bathroom...lol.

You guys are great thanks! I called last night, but I called the 800 USA RAIL number. I didn't know that there were different agents for the AT. I guess I have to callback just to reconfirm. But this is what the agent told me. I can subtract a passenger and get a refund without canceling the trip. I can also add a passenger later without an auto being booked, but it would have to be a seperate booking and they would have to link the booking and it would be at the current bucket. I never knew that someone couldn't visit the sleeper cars. I guess I will book a family room for everyone, my wife would have to get over the fact of not having an in room bathroom...lol.
A Family Room, for two adults, and kids "in their twenties" is NOT DOABLE. Beds are too small. Best to get your kids roomettes in the same car as your wife and you have your bedroom in.

EDIT: Ryan beat me to the punch.

The other alternative, if you can book early enough, is a "bedroom suite." Basically, that's two full bedrooms that face each other (i.e. Rms D-E or "C-B"), and on the AT, also rooms J-K and L-M. There's a flimsy little partition that separates each room pair. To make a suite, all they do is open the partition, and voila! Bedroom suite.... The good thing is, you now have two private bathrooms at your disposal (or, *for* your disposal) :lol:

Bedroom suite would be really nice.

Bedroom + roomette would be cheaper.

I assume that it's you, wife, 3 kids in their 20's? You and your wife could share the lower in your bedroom, put one kid on the upper and the other 2 kids in the roomette.

Bedroom suite would be really nice.

Bedroom + roomette would be cheaper.

I assume that it's you, wife, 3 kids in their 20's? You and your wife could share the lower in your bedroom, put one kid on the upper and the other 2 kids in the roomette.
Thank you Ryan, and you assumption is correct about the composition and that sounds like my best option. I read the description for the smaller beds in the family room, and they are only 4'9"! My last trip on the AT I did do the 2 bedroom suite, however my kids are much older and it's not such a big deal if they keep sleep in another location. If any one else wants to travel with us after I book then they are on their own. I'll book the coach seat for them or they can fly.

Heck, if anyone else wants to travel after, as long as they are paying for it you can still book another roomette if one is available Allypet and just attach it to your existing PNR.

Then you can even shuffle the kids around with that extra room, and keep the Bedroom for you and your wife. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back