Atlantic Coast Service (Silvers etc) turning @ Sunnyside

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtonFlyer

Train Attendant
Hi all,

Curious to know if anyone is aware of how Amtrak turns the Silver Service trains at Sunnyside yard in NYC? Any patterns? I've always wondered how this works. For example, does 92 northbound become 91 southbound the next day? Or does the Crescent get mixed in (since it generally shares the same consist of the star)?

Any insight that you folks can provide would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

ExtonFlyer

Not sure of the details precisely, but I think the Silver Meteor has captive equipment, and the Silver Star, Crescent, and Lake Shore Limited interline with each other.

Not sure of the details precisely, but I think the Silver Meteor has captive equipment, and the Silver Star, Crescent, and Lake Shore Limited interline with each other.
Thanks GML! I did not even think to include the LSL in this mix. Your lead helped me to possibly track down my answer via the power of the internets. In case anyone else is curious - here is a post from "the chief" from a different board (not sure if it the same "the chief" from here). It is from 2004 - but I believe it answers my question:

(in part) from Amtrak, ops advisory 6 Febre: Equipment - Consist Restructure:

--Trains 19/20, Crescent:

Continued Viewliner problems and Amtrak's inability to get sufficient cars back on the road mean that the second Viewliner sleeping car line on the Crescent will not return until April 26 and April 28, on Trains 19 and 20, respectively. Also, Amfleet-II smoking lounges are being transferred to the Lake Shore Ltd.. Crescent will become a nonsmoking train.

--Trains 48/49, 448/449, Lake Shore Ltd.

In an attempt to address the unacceptable performance of the Lake Shore Ltd., Trains 448/449 will become a stub train operation with cross platform transfer at Albany-Rensselaer, beginning February 17. There will no longer be through car service between Chicago and Boston; the Lounge car will operate between Chicago and New York; and it will be an Amfleet-II smoking lounge, transferred from the Crescent, making the Lake Shore no longer a nonsmoking train.

This will match the Lake Shore consist to that of the New York-Miami Silver Service trains and will change the equipment rotation, getting the train's cars to their Hialeah maintenance base more frequently. At New York, Train 92 will turn to Train 49; Train 48 will turn to Train 91.

Standard consist of Trains 48/49 will become two units, Baggage, Dorm, two Viewliner sleepers, Diner, Lounge (smoking), and four Coaches, plus mail and express.

Standard consist of Trains 448/449 will be Baggage, Cafe Car, two Coaches.

Train 448(16) will be last to operate from Chicago.

These changes will remain until 07MAY04, at which time the combined operation of New York and Boston cars on one train CHI-ALB is planned to resume.

--Trains 50/51, Cardinal

This train has had its Viewliner Sleeping Car, Diner, Crew Dorm and baggage car removed, and this will now continue until the Spring Timetable change on 26APR04. Train will consist of Lounge car and three Coaches. No checked baggage service.

Also, Train 51 will no longer operate as part of Regional Train 155 between New York and Washington on Sundays, but will run as a separate train.

--Trains 66/67, Federal

Sleeping Car service on this train is suspended until the Fall Timetable change. The first day the sleeper is planned to operate is now October 25 in both directions.

--NOTE: If equipment problems persist, these service reductions may be extended, or more reductions may be implemented.

Hope this helps.

------------------

_________Thë Çhîeƒ

_|_|_|_|_

I think amtrak has changed operations for those trains since 2004.
Yup, that info is way outdated.

The LSL does run through to Boston again, the Cardinal does have 1 sleeper, 66/67 hasn't had a sleeper since, and consists were flipped to put sleepers on the rear of all trains.

So I wouldn't count on any of that info to still be correct.

I'm not real sure just what turns to what, but I do know that Amtrak especially during the winter tries very hard to ensure that the arriving LSL sleepers at NYP head south to Florida to thaw out before doing another run to Chicago.

Well we do know that 3 viewliners have returned to service: a through sleeper on the lsl to Boston, the second sleeper on the crescent, and the cardinal has its sleeper back. So those are major changes. Sadly, the sleeper on 66/67 has not returned and I doubt it will ever come back. But those 3 changes probably changed the operation of the run through trains.

Edit: Alan beat me too it on most of this info. Go Alan!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back