AU Chat at OTOL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRR 60

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
As most of you know, the Amtrak Unlimited chat system has been unavailable for some time. As an alternative, several AU members have joined and now participate in the weekly chat sessions at On-Track On-Line. For those who are not familiar with On-Track On-Line, OTOL is a site that is both similar and quite different than AU. It is similar in the sense that both sites discuss trains and train travel. It is different in the focus of the discussion, with OTOL being technically and factually oriented, and AU leaning more toward the style and pleasure of rail travel, specifically Amtrak (at least that's my impression).

I am one of a number of AU members who actively participate at both sites, and have for years. I find the two sites complimentary. I like both. I also understand the feeling among some members of both sites that the other site, whichever that may be, is simply not to their liking. That is why the existence of the two sites works so well: there is a home for everyone. That is also the source of a problem that has recently developed.

The participation by AU members in the OTOL chat sessions has proven to be both a benefit and a detriment for OTOL. The benefit is, of course, more discussion with more viewpoints. Putting on my OTOL hat for a moment, we value that. The problem is when the OTOL chat participation by AU members becomes simply a substitute for AU chat. The discussions can evolve to areas of interest only to AU members, including the Gatherings and some member-to-member interplay. There is nothing wrong with that, if it is at AU. But, at OTOL it’s a problem. It interrupts the normal OTOL chat discussion and has created some tension with long-time OTOL members, particularly those who are not AU members.

As someone who participates and likes both AU and OTOL, I am (solely as an individual) respectfully making a suggestion to my AU friends. If you wish to participate at OTOL and join our forums and chat, please do. We, at OTOL, would love to hear about the latest news from MARTA, Metrolink, Metra or Muni (cleverly all M's). But, if you want to discuss the next Gathering, or talk or joke about other AU members and subjects, please don’t use the OTOL chat sessions for that purpose. Hopefully, the AU chat will be back soon. But until then, please keep AU-centric discussions here at AU with PM’s or within the forums. I think that will be best for both AU and OTOL members.

Bill

I got the message a couple weeks ago, and have tried to alter my OTOL chat conduct accordingly. When AU chat is restored, which I understand may be quite soon, I hope to remain an OTOL participant. I think I'm clearer now on the differences.

In my defense, when a fellow AU crossover poses a question, or makes a comment, that's more AU than OTOL, it's kinda difficult, not to mention rude, to ignore.

Bill, I would just ask for your continued patience until AU chat is restored. We AU-ers tried other outside options, but that proved a fiasco. You might also PM Anthony and do a little arm twisting: "Dude, get your chat back up and get these clowns outta here!!" :D

Back