Auto Train 52 - 7/13/2016 - Late by 5 plus hours anyone know what'

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmatarella

Train Attendant
I'm to travel the return trip on that equip as 53 this afternoon. I'm also going to go by later and see if they can advise on changes to when I need to have the ar there!

One guess would be the heat wave of the last couple of weeks. When the temperatures go very, high thermal expansion can cause the rails to shift out of gauge slightly. In affected areas slow orders (speed limits) can be put in place by CSX. That puts all trains off schedule. Maybe not the case but this has happened before.

I got an email then phone call. Talked to an agent, she confirmed it is expected in around 2:45. I asked when they wanted us there since they have to offload cars first (hour and a half usually) and she says no you have to be there by 2:30.

Talk about useless. I understand what happened and am completely patient for whatever and whenever it takes for them to be ready for us. That whole crew is having a rough day! But as far as info from Amtrak, anyone that knows what it takes to unload and reset knows if it is arriving at 2:45ish, having me they BY 2:30 is nuts. I will drive by and check every half hour from the shopping center across the street and see when the incoming cars start moving in.

I got an email then phone call. Talked to an agent, she confirmed it is expected in around 2:45. I asked when they wanted us there since they have to offload cars first (hour and a half usually) and she says no you have to be there by 2:30.

Talk about useless. I understand what happened and am completely patient for whatever and whenever it takes for them to be ready for us. That whole crew is having a rough day! But as far as info from Amtrak, anyone that knows what it takes to unload and reset knows if it is arriving at 2:45ish, having me they BY 2:30 is nuts. I will drive by and check every half hour from the shopping center across the street and see when the incoming cars start moving in.
If you don't have your car checked in by the cutoff time, 2:30, you likely will be refused travel as that would be considered a no show, and that is a written policy in all of the auto train schedules.

I did get inline as soon as they started taking cars, around 1:00. They are quoting a 4-5 arrival here. I see online the train hasn't moved from near Petersburg in over a hour. They estimate a 8:30-9:00 pm departure as of now. Subway sandwichs to be brought around 6pm. Then lunch sittings on train tomorrow. They did offer a refund if one didn't like the news :)

The station personnel are handling it well.

They did have additional car carriers here so they were able to start loading at least. Maybe enough for all so that 2:30 cutoff suddenly makes sense if they have enough I guess they will load all and send that crew home as usual.

All part of the adventure. (Not the first time it's happened on my AT trip and won't be the last I'm sure.)

I believe we where on the train when the string of delays began. We were on southbound 53 last Friday, July 8. We were running on or ahead of schedule until we hit heavy rain in North Carolina. During the night a tree fell across both tracks. We were stuck for several hours while CSX crews were dispatched to cut up the tree and clear the tracks. After that it was somewhat of a perfect storm ... untangling delayed traffic going both directions and the need to change to new engineer because of the delay. We arrived seven hours late at 4 p.m., just when the same equipment was scheduled to be leaving.

Through it all the entire on-board crew was excellent! Even the extra lunch they served was tasty!

Charlie N.

having been delayed for hours numerous on the same tracks, I'm not surprised. Amtrak trains always sit around waiting for the freight trains to go by.

Auto train can make up about 3 hrs of delay at the end points. So, a consist arriving 7 hrs late needs a minimum of 3 trips to get back on its regular departure schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back