Auto train details catch up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erinch13

Train Attendant
Our last trip was 2013, before the service, umm, "streamlining." Traveling in sleeper.

Can you catch me up--

No wine and cheese reception, correct?

Are there still snacks upon boarding?

Wine is now purchased by the glass at dinner?

Do the young adults need to bring ID?

Is the lounge car still combined?

At last ride, breakfast was cereal, corn muffins, and bagels. Still the case?

We will be riding Sunday, in extreme heat. If there are delays, how is the drinking water situation?

Can you still request to upgrade from a roommate to a bedroom and is the rate full price or reduced?

Thanks all!

I can answer a few of your questions. Last trip was April 2016. No wine cheese reception. No snacks at boarding but now has separate sleeper lounge where you could purchase snacks. Wine is extra at dinner and no steak. Breakfast is still continental. With the time constraints In the AM I doubt that will ever change. I had no trouble getting ice or water at any time on both directions.

I can answer a few of your questions. Last trip was April 2016. No wine cheese reception. No snacks at boarding but now has separate sleeper lounge where you could purchase snacks. Wine is extra at dinner and no steak. Breakfast is still continental. With the time constraints In the AM I doubt that will ever change. I had no trouble getting ice or water at any time on both directions.
No steak, but short rib instead.

Here's a look at the dinner menu that I believe is current. https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/140/466/Auto-Train-Dining-Car-Menu-1115.pdf

Re your question about upgrades : when available, you will pay the current price for upgrading Sleeping Car Accommodations,usually the Highest Bucket Room Accommodation Charge with your Rail Fare being the Lowest Bucket Coach Fare.( Conductors tend to dislike on board upgrades, and they'll probably tell you to call Amtrak yourself if you ask about upgrades aboard the train.)

You can check Fares and Room charges on amsnag.net developed by AU Member Paul M. and receive notification of fare changes.

You can also be placed on a waiting list by Amtrak and will be notified if a Bedroom becomes available on the train you are riding.

This is a very popular route, and fare changes tend to be rare since Amtrak has started utilizing their current Revenue Management Sysyem.

Last edited by a moderator:
On any train, persons who wish to purchase alcohol, or consume their own alcohol in their private accommodations, should have I. D., especially if they may appear to be younger than the legal age.

There should not be any issues with the drinking water, in spite of alarmist comments on other threads. There should be an ample supply of bottled water, but you're welcome to bring your own if you like. The onboard water supply is quite safe. I drank that water for well over 25 years with no ill effects, aside from the growth of a prehensile tail which has proven very handy in some situations (just kidding).

I don't think anybody on the train is authorized to give you any discounts on room rates for upgrades. You may be able to get them in advance, through ticket agents, but not on board.

I think your other questions have been answered.

Tom

Thanks so much! A few years ago in that route, they were begging people to upgrade at a very small extra charge ( in the station).

On the water, I was asking about supply during a long delay. We've drunk the water on that route for years as well.

Thanks!

About breakfast. always take first available time. It doesn't happen often but the train has arrived up to 2 hours early. Especially true if departure times are ahead of schedule.

Many years ago, we had serious delays on the southbound Auto Train due to a hurricane. Normally, the A-T tops off water in the dining car at Florence (about 8-9 hours into the trip); but the sleepers, coaches, and lounges have enough capacity to cover the entire trip --- about 16-17 hours --- without a top-off. In this particular case, we were delayed so badly that we had still not arrived at Florence after being enroute for about 26 hours or more. As soon as the chief and OBS crew realized the extent of the delay, the dining cars reverted to plastic plates and silverware, and passengers were asked to limit their use of showers, etc. as much as possible. As I recall, I don't think any cars ran out of water, although we came pretty close.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back