Auto Train discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi everyone - new to this forum! my family and i will be riding the amtrak autotrain next month from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL. we booked a family bedroom on the train (the largest one). we have a one year old who needs to sleep in a travel crib. i saw an old forum that said a specific travel crib would fit. my question is - can anyone confirm if this seat in the family room *folds up* for more floor space? if so, this is where the travel crib would go. thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4819.jpeg
    IMG_4819.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 0
Just completed another enjoyable AutoTrain trip. Everything worked, several of the sleepers had been refurbished, and arrived Lorton 40” early.

Good crew, especially in the diner and sleeper lounge. Food was very good. Particularly enjoyed our companions at dinner and breakfast. Still need to bring back glassware and better tableware.

emw5108,

I have never ridden in a family bedroom so I can’t answer your question. However there is another currently active thread on this forum called “Family Bedroom Discussion”. It seems that there are a lot of posters on that thread who are knowledgeable about the family bedroom on that thread who might not have seen your question here.. You might have better luck asking your question on that thread.

Just completed another enjoyable AutoTrain trip. Everything worked, several of the sleepers had been refurbished, and arrived Lorton 40” early.

Good crew, especially in the diner and sleeper lounge. Food was very good. Particularly enjoyed our companions at dinner and breakfast. Still need to bring back glassware and better tableware.
For some reason on the auto train metal flatware and glassware is inconsistent, although it does seem they did incorporate the flowers on the table from the other trains. On my last auto train trip we had metal flatware but plastic beverage cups. On most of the other trains metal flatware and glassware is only consistently used at dinner - and often the plastic stuff is brought out for breakfast and lunch.

I am looking for a route to the Lorton Auto Train station that does not go through DC.
When I visit my friends near there I take I-81 south to I-66 east as far as Manassas. There are a number of roads that will take you from there to Lorton without entering Washington. The Fairfax County and Prince William Parkways are two. US15 also skirts the west side of the city, although I believe some sections are now tolled near IAD airport.

When I visit my friends near there I take I-81 south to I-66 east as far as Manassas. There are a number of roads that will take you from there to Lorton without entering Washington. The Fairfax County and Prince William Parkways are two. US15 also skirts the west side of the city, although I believe some sections are now tolled near IAD airport.
Coming down from the Northeast (Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, etc.), you're really stuck with having to cross the Potomac on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge (I-95). You could take the Captial Beltway (I-495) the other way and cross at the Cabin John Bridge, but, frankly, I think the traffic is worse. There are no other crossings of the Potomac until the Governor Nice Bride south of La Plata, Maryland, which gets one into Virginia way south and east of Lorton, aside from the fact that US 301 is full of traffic lights and congestion.
When we went from Baltimore, we took the Baltimore-Washington Parkway past the Beltway and then DC-295 through the Anacostia neighborhood where it connects to I-295, which connects directly to the Beltway at the Wilson Bridge. On our southbound trip, at about 10-11 AM, there was some stop and go traffic on DC 295, but otherwise it was pretty clear. On the northbound trip it was clear sailing all the way home. These were both on Weekdays.

If you're coming from further west, I would think that I-81 to I66 to the Fairfax Parkway would be pretty good way to go, but it's always a good idea to check Google Maps for traffic, as I-66 can have some pretty bad traffic jams, especially in the morning going east. US 15 is OK if you're coming from Frederick or Harrisburg, but note that it is not a superhighway the entire way, and, in fact parts of it are a 2-lane road, and with lights and congestion around Leesburg. From Leesburg, you need to take the Greenway to Dulles airport, where you get on the Fairfax County Parkway. The Greenway is a toll road.

Will be taking Auto Train from LOR to SFA: I expect to pack many clothes in my car but would also like to know if I can pack a couple small ends tables and kitchen stuff in my car. It sounds like there is a risk of theft. Does Amtrak also limit the content of what can be packed? TIA, Kathy

Unless you have items that are external to the car (strapped to the roof, hanging out of an open trunk, etc.) Amtrak will not limit what you can pack in your car. Just be aware that you will have no access to your car during the trip, so make sure to carry on anything you expect to use while on the train.

Will be taking Auto Train from LOR to SFA: I expect to pack many clothes in my car but would also like to know if I can pack a couple small ends tables and kitchen stuff in my car. It sounds like there is a risk of theft. Does Amtrak also limit the content of what can be packed? TIA, Kathy
Amtrak would no doubt restrict certain types of hazardous items in baggage, like explosive or corrosive chemicals, etc.
Things of this nature are regulated by rules covering all modes of transportation.
They don't weigh the cars before boarding and as long as nothing is sticking or hanging out you should be good.

Well prior to this it was the continental only and you could get a sausage egg and cheese breakfast sandwich (same breakfast sandwich as what they serve in the cafe car.) Nothing wrong with a few additional options even if it’s not the full breakfast served on other trains. Though I’d be curious to see what these actually look like.

Well prior to this it was the continental only and you could get a sausage egg and cheese breakfast sandwich (same breakfast sandwich as what they serve in the cafe car.) Nothing wrong with a few additional options even if it’s not the full breakfast served on other trains. Though I’d be curious to see what these actually look like.
Having actually traveled in Auto Train, I think these changes are pretty positive.

When they take your car, they load it immediately on the carrier car and then unload upon arrival. I wouldn’t leave a diamond necklace sitting in the cup holder, but the unloading guys are only alone in your car for a few minutes. Any theft could rapidly be traced. They could not stick an end table in their pocket.

Looks like they made some changes at breakfast.

That’s good to hear, thanks. The breakfast sandwich we’ve had feels like a rock in your stomach!

I’m particularly interested in the last item. If it’s anything like this (a staple in our house), it’ll be a hit with us. (Much less!expensive by the box at Costco than at Starbucks). We’ll try it on our December trip.
1699109039928.png

That’s good to hear, thanks. The breakfast sandwich we’ve had feels like a rock in your stomach!

I’m particularly interested in the last item. If it’s anything like this (a staple in our house), it’ll be a hit with us. (Much less!expensive by the box at Costco than at Starbucks). We’ll try it on our December trip.
View attachment 34432
My wife and I tried these from Costco and for whatever reason I cannot explain they came out gross.

They had an odd texture not like at Starbucks.

I am curious how you prepared them to make them come out properly because we followed the instructions on the box.

They were so bad, my wife wondered if our package was spoiled or in some way defective.

I am curious how you prepared them to make them come out properly because we followed the instructions on the box.
Too bad, every time we’ve cooked them they come out firm but not hard at all with great taste. It’s perfect for us.

Maybe you just don’t like that texture? Starbucks has their own way of doing things that for some may be an acquired taste. If you like their method, then everything else can taste weird and the Starbucks way becomes addictive!

We take them out of the plastic wrapper they’re sealed in, put on a microwave dish, and nuke for 90 seconds. Also works in toaster oven (but takes longer).

We all know Amtrak has their own way of doing things too. We’ll report on our taste test on AutoTrain!

Having actually traveled in Auto Train, I think these changes are pretty positive.
I agree. More options for the limited breakfast service can only be positive. On my last Auto Train trip the addition of a breakfast sandwich in addition to the traditional continental options was welcome. My dinner on my last Auto Train trip was the best dinner I’ve had on that particular train.

Too bad, every time we’ve cooked them they come out firm but not hard at all with great taste. It’s perfect for us.

Maybe you just don’t like that texture? Starbucks has their own way of doing things that for some may be an acquired taste. If you like their method, then everything else can taste weird and the Starbucks way becomes addictive!

We take them out of the plastic wrapper they’re sealed in, put on a microwave dish, and nuke for 90 seconds. Also works in toaster oven (but takes longer).

We all know Amtrak has their own way of doing things too. We’ll report on our taste test on AutoTrain!
The difference might be that Starbucks uses the sous vide method of prep, while most of us would likely use a microwave to heat them up.

Idk what Amtrak does. At one time a few years ago (pre-Covid) I heard they were experimenting with sous vide but unsure how that went nor what they are doing today.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please limit the discussion to the Auto Train.

Thank you for your cooperation and participation.

Back