Auto train: Ford F150 pickup?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if Ford F150 pick up will be able to go on auto train. I know the dimensions but Im wondering has anyone noticed them actually on a auto train

This is the Sanford loading area.
1634316217995.jpeg
Couldn’t find my pic of a truck loading but I saw many full-size work vans packed to the gills being loaded. I’m sure a std F-150 will load even with those huge side mirrors if they swing in or retract.

You should be able to go on the Autotrain with your F-150 and if it meets the following guidelines

Check-In by 2:30 pm (no exceptions)
  • Maximum length: 216 inches (18 feet)
  • Maximum height: 85 inches
  • Maximum width: 84 inches, including mirrors
  • Ground clearance: 4+ inches
  • Maximum tire width: 14.5 inches

Heading off to Florida on the AT this Saturday... I have a 2021 Ford F-150 Super Cab, which has the half doors that open backwards (second row), but also a 6'5" bed. It says online that my truck has a 231 inch length and the Auto Train has a 218 inch limit for a single large vehicle. I did pay for the larger (SUV size) vehicle. I secured the Amtrak tickets prior to purchasing my new truck and fortunately, I do still have my Buick Enclave, so that is a backup option but it holds less cargo. We do have a lot of cargo and large equipment cases for my work.

What should I do? Take the truck and hope everything works? Or downsize into the Buick SUV?

Quick update - problem solved. I called AGR and they modified my reservation from "oversized vehicle" to be "two standard" vehicle spaces, and they noted the Ford F-150 in the record. Prior to my call they had me listed with our Buick Enclave and the oversized vehicle space on the train. It was 6,000 additional points to do the change.

I have an F150 super cab 2015. I have taken it on the AT multiple times and I always used the extended vehicle fare since they introduced that and have never had a problem they’ve taken it every time (even though I’m aware the F150 is slightly above.) I’m sure what you did is the safest bet just in case they start getting more strict on that. But just wanted to pass on my experience - I have never once been challenged - wish I had noticed this thread before you made your change. Have a good trip.

I used to own a 1977 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton with an 8' bed, regular cab, not a crew cab. It was around 212" long overall, if my search is accurate. We could put 3 motocross bikes (each of them around 7' long) in the bed with the tailgate up.
The new F-150 half ton regular cab pickup is 231" long overall and has a 5.5' bed. Even with the tailgate down a motocross bike is hanging out the back.
How did this happen? LOL!
I knew they had gotten bigger but that is pretty wild. Maybe my search was off?

Back