Autotrain Pricing Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronzeman

Train Attendant
Does the Autotrain pricing open in the highest bucket initially and then drop only to rise again as the train fills up? If so, when does it usually begin to drop out of the initial high bucket? I was looking to buy a return SFA-LOR for my father next April. On Amsnag the entire month up until 4/24/15 (11 months out) is high bucket for everything (railfare, sleepers and autos). N.B. These are post-Easter travel dates. While I suppose that everything on all of those trains has already virtually sold out, my supposition is that the latest pricing model starts high to catch the early bookers then drops. Any thoughts?

April is the snowbirds migrate north month and it is heavily traveled north bound for the entire month.. I usually always use points if I have to take a trip then since the cost is so high. You can sometimes catch a lower price closer to the date, but it requires lots of 2-4am checking for low bucket cancellations. Last month we traveled on the 16th on a completely sold out train, since it was one of the first trips with the extra coach cars, there may have been a few empty coach seats the day we went.

.I had been looking for mid-july to the beginning of august this year for the last few weeks and the prices were very high. This morning the roomettes dropped to 210 and I scooped up a bedroom for $313 so you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back