Autotrain Services Drastically Cut?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Sleeper Lounge is officially becoming unstaffed within the next couple weeks as a cost saving measure.

So the Auto Train just hit a SUV and it was reported to be carrying 500 people. Seem to be in demand now. Can we say Snow Birds. So now we have cost savings claim during the busy time of the year.

How about staffing the car one way, and flying the crew members back as a cost savings.

So the Auto Train just hit a SUV and it was reported to be carrying 500 people. Seem to be in demand now. Can we say Snow Birds. So now we have cost savings claim during the busy time of the year.

How about staffing the car one way, and flying the crew members back as a cost savings.
My snowbird neighbors will be coming back to Florida from PA this coming week (assuming no cancellations). I will be interested to hear their thoughts since they take the AT down and back each year. I alerted them to the dining schedule as posted by John C and the new menu. They like eating early and like eating in their room (since the husband has difficulty walking to the dining car when the train is moving). Hopefully the cost savings cuts will not affect their ride back to Florida.

What makes you think the labor shortage has anything to do with the vaccine mandate? A few months ago, some were blaming the labor shortage on the extended unemployment benefits (which were really pretty pitiful to begin with and wouldn't be enough to keep me from getting a job.) Now, those benefits have been gone for at least a month and there's still a labor shortage. On the other hand, we've heard form some people posting here that they've applied for work at Amtrak, and it seems to take the company forever to get people on board, even after they've made a job offer and it's been accepted. Maybe the problem is more the fact that the hiring process is arcane and inefficient.

Just because some random OBS tells you that a few of his or her colleagues are quitting rather than get a pretty low-risk vaccine really means nothing. After all, the plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

I seriously doubt that the Amtrak labor shortage (or any labor shortage) is a result of the vaccine mandate. Seems more like anti-vaxxer disinformation to me.
Amtrak HR having trouble "OnBoarding" staff ! Now that's RICH! :)

My snowbird neighbors will be coming back to Florida from PA this coming week (assuming no cancellations). I will be interested to hear their thoughts since they take the AT down and back each year. I alerted them to the dining schedule as posted by John C and the new menu. They like eating early and like eating in their room (since the husband has difficulty walking to the dining car when the train is moving). Hopefully the cost savings cuts will not affect their ride back to Florida.
With regard to the food, the husband liked the steak. I do not know what the wife ordered, but she said the roll was the best part of her meal. She liked the wine also.

Our 2nd SnowBird trip is coming up, and we were hoping that things would be more back-to-normal than they were in Jan of 2020.
I would like to have the Dining Room Experience, and maybe even actually talk to another passenger en-route....
Fingers-Crossed !!

For OBS, that is correct. Other OBS employees can apply to transfer to A/T, but they give up their seniority for job positions and start new.
What benefits do OBS get out of it? Better schedule and reliability?

That is a good question...They get a consistent schedule because there is only one train you work, also you have more of a teamwork environment and better maintained equipment....that's about it (from my perspective)...
I’m surprised people would be willing to sacrifice seniority for that then. Guess it depends on what you value

I’m surprised people would be willing to sacrifice seniority for that then. Guess it depends on what you value

That’s why we rarely see OBS transfer to the AT. If what I’ve heard is true however, OBS can transfer from the AT to elsewhere in the system and maintain their seniority. I’ve never really looked in to it, but I suppose I could look at the seniority roster next week when I’m back in the crew base, to satisfy my curiosity.

Can anyone tell me or give me a link to what a typical A/T consist looks like these days? I can't seem to find anything that's recent (in the last 12-18 months). We are contemplating a northbound trip for our post Christmas travels.

As best as I can tell from older posts here and elsewhere, there are a total of 4 Superliner Sleepers and 2 Superliner Deluxe Sleepers per consist:
Sleeper
Sleeper
Deluxe Sleeper
Dining
Lounge
Deluxe Sleeper
Sleeper
Sleeper

Are sleepers at the front or back of the consist?
Thanks for any info.

Can anyone tell me or give me a link to what a typical A/T consist looks like these days? I can't seem to find anything that's recent (in the last 12-18 months). We are contemplating a northbound trip for our post Christmas travels.

As best as I can tell from older posts here and elsewhere, there are a total of 4 Superliner Sleepers and 2 Superliner Deluxe Sleepers per consist:
Sleeper
Sleeper
Deluxe Sleeper
Dining
Lounge
Deluxe Sleeper
Sleeper
Sleeper

Are sleepers at the front or back of the consist?
Thanks for any info.
Front N/B...

What is the difference between a "Superliner Sleeper" and a "Superliner Deluxe Sleeper"? I had never heard of a "Superliner Deluxe Sleeper" until now.

What is the difference between a "Superliner Sleeper" and a "Superliner Deluxe Sleeper"? I had never heard of a "Superliner Deluxe Sleeper" until now.
I think he means the all-bedrooms-on-the-second-floor sleeping cars (no roommettes), which are unique to the Auto Train. (The bottom floor is the same as the rest of the fleet.)

Front N/B...
@OBS at Sanford they split the train in two for platforming. Do they take the entire Coach section off to place on the other platform track, keeping the Sleepers on the arrival/departure track? Where in the consist do they generally split the train for platforming?

@OBS at Sanford they split the train in two for platforming. Do they take the entire Coach section off to place on the other platform track, keeping the Sleepers on the arrival/departure track? Where in the consist do they generally split the train for platforming?
I'm not sure with the Superliner equipment. Depending on how many coaches, it may fit on one platform in SFA. I worked the train with the heritage equipment many years ago...

Back