Back in 97

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back in 97

• Discontinued the Pioneer and Desert Wind

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Discontinued the Desert Wind and kept the Pioneer

• Discontinued the Pioneer and kept the Desert Wind

• Discontinued the Desert Wind and kept the Pioneer

• Kept all three trains as they were

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakadirondack

Lead Service Attendant
If you were pres of Amtrak back in 97', when the Desert Wind and Pioneer were discontinued to give the Superliner Cars to the California Zephyr, what would you have done??? ;) ;) ;)

I would have kept all three trains as they were; I wanted to see the Pioneer’s route, ditto on the Desert Wind, too bad, but hopefully they will be revived. :) <_< :) <_< :) <_< :) <_< :) <_< :) <_<

I would have kept them 3X a week..maybe daily in the summer.. I road both many times.

You've listed "Discontinued the Desert Wind and kept the Pioneer" twice. Trying to stack the deck?!? :lol: Well, I like to dream so I'll vote for keeping them both!

:)

seajay

seajay said:
You've listed "Discontinued the Desert Wind and kept the Pioneer" twice. Trying to stack the deck?!? :lol: Well, I like to dream so I'll vote for keeping them both!

seajay
Oops!!! :)

Guest said:
seajay said:
You've listed "Discontinued the Desert Wind and kept the Pioneer" twice.  Trying to stack the deck?!?   :lol:  Well, I like to dream so I'll vote for keeping them both!

seajay
Oops!!! :)
This reply is from me, Amtrakadirondack, I forgot to login, again! :blink:

One of the choices is "kept all three trains as they were"... I only see the Desert Wind and Pioneer listed... Am I missing something? ;) :blink:

jccollins said:
One of the choices is "kept all three trains as they were"...  I only see the Desert Wind and Pioneer listed...  Am I missing something?   ;)   :blink:
The train was the California Zephyr, it was the train that killed the Pioneer and Desert Wind, due to a Superliner car shortage, I forgot to put that in, I will edit the message. :blink: ;) :blink: ;) :blink: ;) :blink: ;)

amtrakadirondack said:
The train was the California Zephyr, it was the train that killed the Pioneer and Desert Wind, due to a Superliner car shortage, I forgot to put that in, I will edit the message. :blink: ;) :blink: ;) :blink: ;) :blink: ;)
I was under the impression that it was lack of money that killed the Pioneer and the Desert Wind, not a lack of Superliner cars.

AlanB said:
I was under the impression that it was lack of money that killed the Pioneer and the Desert Wind, not a lack of Superliner cars.
Yes, and also a consulting firm called Mercer which recommended these cuts. Mercer spoke, Amtrak listened and acted.

Superliner Diner said:
AlanB said:
Yes, and also a consulting firm called Mercer which recommended these cuts. Mercer spoke, Amtrak listened and acted.
Note: The Amtrak Pioneer Route was discontinued in 1997 so that enough equipment could be made available to run the Amtrak California Zephyr in daily service.
Note: The Amtrak Desert Wind was discontinued in 1997 so that enough equipment could be made available to run the Amtrak California Zephyr in daily service.
This is at (Pioneer): www.trainweb.com/routes/route_25.htm

This is at (Desert Wind): www.trainweb.com/routes/route_35.htm

But I know that it was also $$$ wise. :)

I dont know the exact Consist (I would guess that it had a few coaches, a sleeper, and the pioneer parlour)

The stops were as follows:

(the route of the cal zephyr until Denver)

Greeley CO

West Cheyenne-Borie WY

Laramie WY

Rawlins WY

Rock Springs WY

Green River WY

Evanston WY

Ogden NV

Pocatello ID

Shoshone ID

Boise ID

Nampa ID