Back on Tracks!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philzy

Train Attendant
So, yesterday in a valiant search to find more information on rail in Virginia I came across an article that… well just knocked my socks off. :lol:

It’s a good read plain and simple, It's from earlier this year in the Washington Monthly. Be forewarned though it is a long read, but well worth it. I did a search and couldn’t find any references to it but wanted to share it as I think it would be enjoyed by anyone here who is pro-rail.

It talks about the ease of moving trucks to rail a la Europe the green foot print we could leave behind by doing so. It also shows cost relations in dong so which is pretty interesting when you look at the numbers. Think “Steel Wheel Interstate” – me likes, a lot. There are so many little facts and information I’m sure some of you will at least get something out it.

One of the things I found fascinating was that some of the railroads actually helped push the idea of more paved roads. :blink: Sounds shocking doesn’t it? When you look at it in hind sight it doesn’t make sense but if not knowing what was to come “they reasoned, logically enough, that with more paved roads, more people and goods could travel from greater distances to reach their lines…” Think hub and spoke like the airlines.

I won’t go into the whole article but it points out some of the hindrances railroads are experiencing, benefits that they can and do provide along with solutions to fixing our economy. I figured there couldn't be a better place to discuss this article. If this has already been posted please delete, thanks!

It’s called Back on Tracks by Phillip Longman

Enjoy :p

Philzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back