Bad weather?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whc6

Train Attendant
I've ridden the train many times, but always in good weather. Tomorrow I am taking the Carolinian from Kannapolis to Washington DC, and it may ice, sleet, and snow. The return trip is also calling for ice and snow.

I do expect the usual 1/2 to hour late arrival time into Union Station. Should I expect further delay due to ice and snow?

Are trains ever cancelled due to ice?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Whc6,

Yes it can happen that trains can be canceled or annuled due to very deep snows or ice. Ice can be a very big problem, simply because ice typically knocks out power. Loss of power means no signals, no gates, and things like that.

So it will really depend on just how bad things get as to what will happen on your journey.

But, if things aren't terrible, signals stay up, no severe weather warnings, etc. then you will continue at normal speed and all that good stuff. Fortuately when it comes to signals you always get an Approach signal of some sort before the actual even occurs, thus making visibility a non issue (except at grade crossings) since the Engineer(s) know what's coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back