Bag size for coach overhead storage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

opaque

Train Attendant
Hello all,

I was wondering how big a bag can you store in the overhead space in coach.

On my other trips I'll have a sleeper so it won't be an issue but I'm taking the 147 Regional service between New York and Washington DC and don't want to be causing problems with a bag that there isn't a space for.

Any advice would be most welcome :)

Well even if the bag doesn't fit in the overhead rack, all Regionals have a floor to ceiling luggage area that can handle a bag of any size.

Now that said, please remember that the sleeper's don't exactly have unlimited room either, especialy the Viewliner roomettes. Also consider that the fact that if you bag is larger than the maximum size posted on Amtrak's site, that they can refuse to board you. I will admit that I do see many, many people whose bags are larger and/or heavier than Amtrak's baggage policy allows, but again Amtrak can refuse boarding if they think that your bag is too large.

Here's the policy:

Each carry-on bag may not exceed 28x22x14 inches in size.

Each carry-on bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
A far cry from my Cincinnati to Culpeper, VA trip on the Cardinal with a Klepper wood/canvas kayak in the luggage rack! I must have shown that thing to every unbelieving Amtrak crew member on the line, both directions. But then again, loaded/unloaded it myself, and didn't need any help. man, that hull bag must have weighted a ton. . . .

Thanks Alan.

I've seen the restrictions on overall size and thats fairly similar to the airline restriction that I also need to take into consideration, I just didn't know if there were luggage areas as well so thats great to know :)

I don't see it as a problem, just something else to tick off my list.

As for sleepers I have a bedroom booked WAS-CHI and CHI-EMY and it's just me in there so I'd hope theres enough room.

As for sleepers I have a bedroom booked WAS-CHI and CHI-EMY and it's just me in there so I'd hope theres enough room.
If you've got a bedroom, then yes, you'll have plenty of room. It's when it comes to the roomettes, that one can get into trouble, especially if you did have two people in the room.

If you've got a bedroom, then yes, you'll have plenty of room. It's when it comes to the roomettes, that one can get into trouble, especially if you did have two people in the room.

in the Superliner Sleepers there is another trick for bulky things..
BikeSuperliner.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back