Bag storage in NYP?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

savoirfaire

Train Attendant
Is there a place to store bags for a couple of hours in NYP? I will have a couple hour layover on my next trip and would like to briefly surface and see the area.

TIA,

Jerry

If you are traveling in a sleeper that day, or in Acela First Class, then you can use the Club Acela Lounge and store your bag in there for free.

Otherwise the only option is a day check at the baggage counter. That will cost you $5 per bag I believe, and you'll need to show both an Amtrak ticket and a photo ID.

If you are traveling in a sleeper that day, or in Acela First Class, then you can use the Club Acela Lounge and store your bag in there for free.
Otherwise the only option is a day check at the baggage counter. That will cost you $5 per bag I believe, and you'll need to show both an Amtrak ticket and a photo ID.

Thanks Alan. It is worth the $5 to me to have 8 hours in NYC without lugging my bags around!

-Jerry

Thanks Alan. It is worth the $5 to me to have 8 hours in NYC without lugging my bags around!

-Jerry

The Acela Lounge is really safe - I'm in it right now. If you plan to store your bags, I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers with anything fragile.

Does anyone have photos of inside the Acela Lounge?RF
Some I took in 2005. Guess it would look the same today.

NYP-Lounge.jpg

Actually the Club Acela in NY has changed considerably since those photos. In addition to all new furnature, the layout has changed a bit, due in part to a construction project on the 8th Avenue/31st Street entrance that intrudes into what was formerly lounge space. I'm not sure if the lounge will get that space back or not when the project is done. I sure hope so, as they need it.

In terms of the nicest First Class lounges, I would rank them as follows: Boston, Philly, Chicago, DC, NY. There are also lounges in Miami, New Orleans, Minneapolis/St. Paul, St. Louis, Raleigh, and Portland Oregon. I've only been in the first two, and both rank at the bottom of the list above. And I strongly suspect that the Magnolia room in New Orleans ranks at the very bottom of the entire list.

In terms of nice stations in general, NY definately would not be my first choice.

I used day check today (August 10, 2009). The cost was $4.50/bag, and took two. In the end it was $5/bag, because I tossed in the dollar change as a tip. As I walked away, I wondered if that was the plan all along (to better get tips). ;)

It was fun being able to go the Hayden Planetarium without dragging my backpack and briefcase along...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back