Baggage car oddity

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RTOlson

Lead Service Attendant
While watching the northbound Coast Starlight depart Chico this morning (54 minutes late), I noticed something odd on the baggage car. I saw that the vestibule steps were down on what I assume to be a converted Heritage coach car.

I'm not familiar with single-level coaches, but the steps appeared to be down and I didn't see a door (it looked like you could climb aboard).

Is there any reason why the vestibule steps should be down or the door open on this car? Have people seen this before?

The reason why I'm suspicious is that there were three young men who decided to walk on the side of the train away from the depot. There's no sidewalk, just Union Pacific right-of-way. It's also quite dark where they walked.

Although they walked right past the engineer, I was thinking that it wouldn't be a bad way to sneak aboard and steal stuff. I was reminded of a burglary a couple of months ago by someone sneaking aboard to steal baggage.

Am I being paranoid or could something have happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
As I have said before I am a newbie to Amtrak but I do have some knowledge of regular railroading. Freight Railroads are very strict about rules being enforced and followed by employees having to do with safety. Safety should always take first priority.

Something like this could possibly turn into a safety or liability risk.

That is just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not uncommon for Conductors to use the vestibule if they have to get down to flag a crossing, throw a switch, or do station work. They may have gotten back up in another car or on the motor and simply forgotten about it. It was likely an oversight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back