baggage help at newark & orlando?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Liz

you all have helped me so much already, so here's another question for you... what is the procedure for checking in luggage at the stations? how much "help" is there, meaning actual people or luggage carts? we'll be leaving newark, nj and going to orlando, and i'm wondering how much luggage we will be able to easily handle with also handling our 2 children (who are 4 and 2, so we're debating on bringing a stroller for each, which is the main reason i'm asking this). if i'll have to check in the strollers and wait around a while in the train station without them, then i might not bring them to begin with. any input is very much appreciated! Liz :)

I hate to say it but you will be forced to check the strollers. Besdies the fact that you have the kids to go along with the stroller, they are very hard to stow in either coach or sleeper (regardless of where you are). On the Newark side you may be able to sneak it, but it'll be more trouble than its worth once you get to Orlando (the platforms in Newark are level with the train body, whereas the ones in Orlando are not, so getting them down the stairs is a pain in the tuchus). The checked baggage service is effiecient and well worth it, you may have to wait five minutes or so for your bags (both stations are large) but you will get them. As for help there may be a red cap or two at Newark station, but no such animal in Orlando, Orlando however does feature free luggage carts.

I can say from personal experience there are red caps in Newark, but they're not easy to find. I was surprised when I saw one after we got off the train in March. I don't know how to get one prior to boarding, but there are ones at the station.

Usually if you approach station personnel (ticket counter, information desk) and ask them for a red cap they will page one over the radio or PA (I noticed that several times while in Baltimore this summer).

Just in case you're unaware, there are some places you might choose to go to in case you have a lot of time to spend in Newark Penn Station.

First: to get to the checked baggage area, you should go down the second hall to the left on the level you enter the stations.

Down the first hallway to the left there is a McDonalds if you want to get a snack or if the 4 year old might want something.

A really nice place you could wait if you have a lot of time to kill is located in the Gateway plaza. You'd want to go down the same hallway as the Mc Donalds and look for escalators leading to the Gateway Plaza on the left side. After taking one up, continue across the bridge to the gateway plaza. Once you reach the Gateway Plaza there's a Restaurant called Bentley's at the end of the hall near the hilton entrance. The food there is very good, and the restaurant is usually quiet and isn't really busy. To get back to the station you'd simply walk back in the direction you came.

Southbound Amtrak trains such as the one you're taking typically board on track 3 (Consult the board just in case) and there is a waiting area on the platform level with woodend benches and vending machines.

Hope this will be helpful and I'll be glad to answer any further questions about Newark Penn Station. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back