Baggage in NOL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lionelhoguy

Service Attendant
This was the first time we checked baggage, and I was not impressed. It took over an hour and the baggage guys were not going to let anyone break their rules (Grouchy). It kind of seemed like a rinky-dink way of handeling this. :rolleyes: Is checked bags new for Amtrak? I just had to rant... :wacko:

I have never had a problem with checking luggage.

In New York, one may have to wait 4 or 5 minutes

but that is acceptable for me.

This was the first time we checked baggage, and I was not impressed. It took over an hour and the baggage guys were not going to let anyone break their rules (Grouchy). It kind of seemed like a rinky-dink way of handeling this. :rolleyes: Is checked bags new for Amtrak? I just had to rant... :wacko:
If the rule was the 50 lb. weight limit, that's strictly enforced all across Amtrak. Check in seemed a trifle languid the one time I've stood in line in New Orleans, but hey, it's New Orleans. At least you can drink from your go cup while you stand in line.

I had a good experience with new orleans service, I checked my bag the night before morning train - no problems, no lines.

I was picking up my bags, and the rule was the "one group at a time" rule. They had the bags all lined up and only 50 to 10 people at a time could go and get their bags. One lady was in a hurry and was told to Wait her turn. It was just really bizarre, and we just got there so I did not have my go cup filled yet. :giggle:

When I went through New Orleans in April, I thought the baggage handling was fine. They had the luggage ready in about 10 minutes. Heading out the next day I was running a little late and got there about 25 minutes before departure. Thankfully they checked them, or it would have been a lot to lug to L.A!

As I am going to NOL as well in the next few days, I was curious - is there any place to securely leave non-checked baggage at the station? My hotel checkout time is 12:00, but my train doesn't leave until 1:45 and I'd like to get some lunch before I board (there is no lunch served on the CONO).

As I am going to NOL as well in the next few days, I was curious - is there any place to securely leave non-checked baggage at the station? My hotel checkout time is 12:00, but my train doesn't leave until 1:45 and I'd like to get some lunch before I board (there is no lunch served on the CONO).
I'd either inquire with your hotel about the possibility of a late checkout or ask the hotel if they can hold your luggage. Most hotels provide the later without charge, other than perhaps a tip to the bellman. And some will grant a late checkout.

Then do lunch around the hotel, head back for your bags, and then to the train station.

Amtrak will hold your bags, but they usually charge for it. Last I knew NOL would waive the fee if you're in a sleeper, but I'm not sure if that's still true. And frankly, it's more of a hassle to check the bags at Amtrak as compared to a hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back