Baggage Question?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am leaving Saturday for California - Grand Rapids to CHI and then Southwest Chief to San Bernardino. I have never checked baggage before but we are going out for two weeks and between the four of us and holiday presents for my family, I seem to have more than I care to carry on. Are there ever any problems with checking bags on one train to be transferred to another (during the 4 hour layover in CHI) and I am assuming that it is ok to lock the bag. I know we won't have access to it during the trip. My son checked a bag on his trip from NYP to East Lansing (train & bus). He told me they charged him $10 -- I thought baggage checking was at no charge -- do they charge is they weigh over the 30 pounds or are the larger wheeled cases? Anyway, I am looking forward to getting on the train for the two day ride to California.

Hi K train,

I am assuming your taking the "Pere Marquete" from Grand Rapids to Chicago. If that's the case I am almost positive that there isn't checked baggage service on that train. You would then have to check your bags when you arrive in Chicago to your destanation (that is if your destanation city offers checked baggage service) I dont have my Amtrak timetable handy so I can't tell you for sure. As far as the cost for extra bags, I will let someone else with more experience on the forum to answer that for you, since I haven't checked a bag in about 10 years. You could also call Amtrak at 1-800-usa-rail. When the automated system answers the phone (her name is "Julie") say "agent" and it will automaticaly transfer you to a live agent so you can ask your questions.

Thanks for the info -- yes, we are taking the Pere. I called and spoke to an agent and he informed me that we couldn't bring a bag that wouldn't fit in the overhead bin on the Pere because they don't have baggage checking in Grand Rapids -- but we can check it in Chicago as long as it is 36 X 24 X 24 and weighs less than 50 lbs. I guess it weighed 60 lbs. -- I guess that is why he had to pay the $10. I may have to rethink my packing strategies -- if I can get by with it on the Pere and check it in Chicago - then we are clear to San Bernardino - they are a manned station. Now I have to decide which meals I want to eat in the dining car and which ones in the snack bar

Nope, we are roughing it! We do have have two laptops between the four of us -- plenty of DVD movies and headphones so we don't disturb others --wish cell phone users would do the same!!! With pillows, blankets and snacks for the trip, we are all set to go. I can't decide if I want to go down to Grand Rapids tonight or brave a 4:30 a.m. drive on snowy roads. We are about 1 1/2 hours from Grand Rapids (during good weather).

As far as to which meals to eat in the dining car and the lounge car, alow me to give a suggestion.

Breakfast in the Dining car are very good, but are the worst value for your dollar compared to lunch and dinner. For example, 2 eggs, potatoes, and a biscuit would be $6.00 which does not include meat, add another 2.50 for bacon or sausage. Lunch on the other hand is about $7.50. Dinner ranges from $9.00(pasta) to about $19.00 (steak) which includes vegtables, potato and salad. hope this helps a little.

have fun on your trip!

Agreed. A breakfast sandwich in the lounge car, at under $3, is far more filling than a plate of french toast in the diner for $6.50. I guess it's the atmosphere that counts :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back