Baggage Rule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
There is a recording when you call Amtrak that says if your bag is over a certain size, there will be a $20.00 fee. I'm taking a multi leg trip, will I have to pay $20.00 each leg or for the entire trip?I have a 33" duffle that I've been taking on sleeper trips for years & would like to take it next month's trip, ABQ-LAX-CHI-WAS-ORL?????

Last edited by a moderator:
It is good for the entire trip. Make sure you get the res office to put this fee in your reservation. This way, everyone will see that the fee was paid when they look at your reservation.

A reservation is made for the excess/overweight baggage fees as well as tags and stickers will be available too.

If you are carrying this duffle bag with you on the train and will keep it in your room, I see no reason to worry. We have never had anyone check the size of our carry on bags in all the trips we have taken. As long as you take care of it, carry it and store it in your room, you should not be concerned.

What Railroad Bill said applies to me, too, but supposedly there are changes in the wind at Amtrak.

EB_OBS, would you elaborate on the new policy as it applies to a sleeping car passenger's carry on luggage? Thanks.

If you are carrying this duffle bag with you on the train and will keep it in your room, I see no reason to worry. We have never had anyone check the size of our carry on bags in all the trips we have taken. As long as you take care of it, carry it and store it in your room, you should not be concerned.
If the travel is after October 1 the policies are supposed to be enforced. If OP is traveling after October 1 they should worry. I expect there will be an initial push. Time will tell if that works out.

Hmmmm- The Gathering is Oct. 9-11 and lots of us will be traveling via Amtrak to/from WAS with carry on luggage!

Should be interesting to see if this is consistently enforced! Being Amtrak, it most surely will be YMMV.( I haven't checked a bag on Amtrak in over 5 years)

A reservation is made for the excess/overweight baggage fees as well as tags and stickers will be available too.
I did a test booking for the middle of October. l saw an icon for adding a bike to the trip, but nothing for an excess baggage fee.

Quoting from Julie

Effective October 1, a $20 excess baggage fee will be charged for each carry-on and personal item above the quantity and size limits. A maximum of two excess bags are permitted per passenger. Fees will be collected at the station or onboard the train if the station is unstaffed.
No mention of a reservation. I feel sorry for conductors. Will they take it out on Amtrak or the passenger?

I guess we have been spoiled as when we board in CLE at 2am the conductors just want to get everyone on the train and get going. I really don't expect them to be standing at the door of the sleeper with a measuring tool trying to collect their $20 fee unless it is really obvious. But if that is the new policy then I suppose we all will learn to live with it. Our duffles are not that large so we probably will not be affected, but have certainly had a bag that is close to that fitting in the lower level of a Superliner. :eek:

I did notice saturday that a new luggage sizer on locakble wheels with a scale for a bottom had appeared next to where they herd us to the platform. Maybe the plan is to tag at the station as they let us onto the platforms? No idea what they will do about unstaffed stations.

So when I have the red cap pre-board me onto my sleeping car and hand me off to the SCA, both of whom traditionally receive gratuities, does anyone (other than a few empty suits) really believe they will be nitpicking about an inch or two, or a pound or two.

So when I have the red cap pre-board me onto my sleeping car and hand me off to the SCA, both of whom traditionally receive gratuities, does anyone (other than a few empty suits) really believe they will be nitpicking about an inch or two, or a pound or two.
No one doubts they will not nitpick about an inch or 3 feet. However, you didn't tip the rest of the crew members and if one takes exception....particularly if they aren't fond of the red caps to begin with, you'll end up paying.

The rest of the crew never comes into my roomette. I may or may not encounter a conductor or a/c for a ticket lift, in Chicago they tend to pre scan in the lounge. Even the airlines, which make a great deal of money on bag fees, have very different rules for premium fare passengers.

Can I get a 29" suitcase into my roomette for an upcoming trip? A 26" one fit last year, but I don't remember how breathing room there was after the SCA put it up there for me.

Frankly, since I have never attempted to carry anything that comes remotely close to the state size and weight parameters I am not worried at all about this change.
Frankly, since I have never attempted to carry anything that comes remotely close to the state size and weight parameters I am not worried at all about this change.
People who carry more than a 26 inch are overpacking. It is also the largest size that is not hard to roll around. I do 22 for anything less than a week and 24 for more than a week. Even on a cruise I never needed more than a 26 inch and a small backpack to carry on the plane. A lot of the huge bags are from overseas visitors. Apparently it is cheaper to fly to the US and shop than in their home country. Also students. I think they must take their laundry home.

Over the years I have drastically cut down on the size and bulk of my luggage. Got snagged a little last year when I went to visit family in Arizona and carried all light clothing. Coming home we missed our connection in Chicago and had to leave a day later. Of course they had a cold snap and I had nothing close to appropriate. A bulky parka, a hat and gloves, and much heavier shoes would have been nice. Free time in Chicago, and I couldn't go outside.

I did notice saturday that a new luggage sizer on locakble wheels with a scale for a bottom had appeared next to where they herd us to the platform. Maybe the plan is to tag at the station as they let us onto the platforms? No idea what they will do about unstaffed stations.
Are you sure that isn't for checked baggage? It's checked baggage that has a weight limit, not carry on.

Are you sure that isn't for checked baggage? It's checked baggage that has a weight limit, not carry on.
It was distinctly labeled as carry-on with a sizer for carry on dimensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back