Baggage storage at New York penn?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gfoley4

Train Attendant
Another baggage question.... I've read some other sites that say amtrak has a baggage counter where you can check baggage for the day (eg not check them on the train). Any newer info on the cost and where exactly it's located?

It's the regular baggage check counter. We had two rolling carry-on pieces and it was $5.50 each for up to 24 hours. They do close the counter at night, so if you don't get there by the time they close you may need to pick up in the morning when they open again.

The counter is right next to the entrance to platform 5.

USA-new-york-baggage.jpg

We were on our last day and wanted to explore Manhattan for a couple of hours before heading for JFK and our flight home. Not having to drag luggage with us was great, especially with all the stairs on the NYC Subway. We weren't checked for tickets, but my wife had just gotten off an Amtrak train and I think her ticket would have sufficed. I hear they usually don't check and don't care.

Another alternative is to find a hotel that will store luggage.

New York has always been roughly a $1 more than the normal Amtrak rates for as long as I've noticed. It's still the Amtrak baggage office and not the awful Washington baggage office (not just for Amtrak passengers) that charges upwards of $25-$30.

If you are in Sleeper you can store them in the Club Acela for no charge. While it is not checked storage, they should be fine. Of course you do not want to leave any obvious valuables in the storage area.

If you are in Sleeper you can store them in the Club Acela for no charge. While it is not checked storage, they should be fine. Of course you do not want to leave any obvious valuables in the storage area.
I wish, coach to Chicago.

I personally would pay the $4 per bag at NY Penn. The storage area in the Club Acela there is like a crowded lobby and it is very easy for someone to get inside the door and where the luggage is stored without being noticed by the desk personnel at busy times, who are being pestered by mostly inconsiderate first-class Acela passengers. The $4 charge is cheap insurance IMHO

Could you expand on your statement, please ! How inconsiderate ? Are you comparing Sleeper passengers with Acela FC passengers ?

who are being pestered by mostly inconsiderate first-class Acela passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you expand on your statement, please ! How inconsiderate ? Are you comparing Sleeper passengers with Acela FC passengers ?

who are being pestered by mostly inconsiderate first-class Acela passengers.
Having been in the NY Penn lounge innumerable times, I have found the Acela-bound passengers to be rushing around, talking to the desk attendant while talking on a cell phone with someone else, radiating clear signs of exasperation over something or other about a ticket or return reservation, etc. etc., essentially having very little patience. I am certainly not saying this is true of all Acela passengers, but I have seen this behavior often enough during crowded times where an attendant would have absolutely no idea if someone were checking luggage in the storage room for inviting items. That's the context in which I place my observation. That area around the desk and the storage area is also often quite crowded as Acela passengers congregate to charge out the door to the gate as soon as the track number is learned, and there just isn't the level of security for bags that I am comfortable with, knowing that in any large station like NY Penn there are people lurking to carry out crimes of opportunity. For me, the $5.50 charge (sorry, not $4 as in the first post) is well worth the cost as insurance so that there is absolutely no need to worry if your bag(s) will be around when you come back to retrieve them.

I doubt if very many sleeping car passengers exhibit the same type of behavior because by definition, they are heading off on a longer trip and probably do not have last-minute glitches or other panic-related matters to sort out. And they don't need to rush to the escalators because their accommodations are booked, and there is no scrum-like hustle necessary.

It's worth it to get a Redcap to take you to your Train from the CA in NYP! Theyll come get you and your Luggage in the Lounge and youll beat the Thundering Heard and get First Choice on Seats on your Train! (They can even Reverse the Escalators that always seem to be Running in the Opposite Direction you want to go! ;) )

Guest_guest,

Thank you for your explanation. I have been one of the milling group at the door waiting for the gate to be called many times. I have witnessed harried travelers ,but I don't recall any that were inconsiderate to others in the lounge.

Welcome and please sign up for the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back