Baggage storage at Philadelphia 30th Street?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m in Philadelphia right now for the Gathering, and I’m going to be departing on Sunday early afternoon. I won’t have time to go to my hotel and back after the morning rides to store them there, and I’d prefer not to have to drag them on SEPTA all morning (but may do that if it’s the only option). Is there any luggage storage at 30th Street Station, either in the Metropolitan Lounge or elsewhere in the station? Can I use the Philadelphia Metropolitan Lounge if I’ve got a same-day sleeper ticket for the Lake Shore Limited out of NYP, but do not have any status or an Acela First ticket out of PHL?

I’m in Philadelphia right now for the Gathering, and I’m going to be departing on Sunday early afternoon. I won’t have time to go to my hotel and back after the morning rides to store them there, and I’d prefer not to have to drag them on SEPTA all morning (but may do that if it’s the only option). Is there any luggage storage at 30th Street Station, either in the Metropolitan Lounge or elsewhere in the station? Can I use the Philadelphia Metropolitan Lounge if I’ve got a same-day sleeper ticket for the Lake Shore Limited out of NYP, but do not have any status or an Acela First ticket out of PHL?
The rules say you just need to have a sleeper or first class ticket arriving or departing the same day; it doesn't explicitly say it has to be at the same station, but one could reasonably interpret it that way (or not). The lounge attendants I've encountered at PHL seem more laid back than those at CHI or NYP, so you might be OK.

However, there is no facility for storing bags at the PHL lounge. Some people have said the attendant has held bags at their desk, but that's just up to the goodwill of the attendant. The redcaps do have a roped-off area for storing baggage in the main hall, so if you arrange for a redcap to take you to the train, they will probably hold your bags until departure time. I'm pretty sure you can also pay $10 a bag to store them at the baggage check.

In the past we have asked the lounge attendant to watch our bags and that worked out ( we tipped him) but it was only for an hour. We would not do that for an extended period as the attendant might end their shift and things may be misplaced..
I like the suggestion of asking the Redcaps to hold it. They would also help you to your train and $10 should be a sufficient amount to tip.
To answer the question if you can use the lounge; yes with a same day sleeper ticket. We have departed on the Regional and Acela to WAS many times to catch the CL and was never denied lounge entry. If the sleeper is part of your days trip that is what matters.

I was in the lounge today and asked the attendant about leaving my bag while going for a walk. The attendant informed me that they are not permitted to store bags at the front desk, but if I wanted to leave my bag at my seat, I could. However, the attendant told me that I should not leave anything valuable in my bag. I chose not to leave my bag. I stored at my hotel when I went for a very long walk (after walking to the hotel).

This is, yet again, a strange inconsistency with Amtrak and what they provide. Years ago they did indeed provide luggage storage at Philadelphia but now they do not. I'm not sure why they don't and it really should be offered at all lounges.

I will agree that the agents at Philadelphia are very nice and I've also had an agent offer to watch my bag for a few minutes when I asked. Of course.. I was thinking of going to see the Liberty Bell or the Franklin Institute so a few minutes wouldn't do haha.

Back