BAL to PDX via???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northnorthwest

Service Attendant
It looks like I will be going from Baltimore to Portland, OR next August. I looked up the options, and there are many routes to consider: Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, and even the Sunset Limited are all options!

Of those trains, I have already done CHI-Glenwood Springs and CHI-Fargo.

So...what is your recommended route and WHY?

Since you've done big chunks of the CZ and EB, I'd do CHI-LAX-PDX, the SWC is a nice ride.

Have you done BAL-CHI before? I'd apply the same rule and try something different. If you're starting up fresh, I'd head up to NYP and take the LSL, the ride up the Hudson at dinnertime is pretty awesome.

Since you've done big chunks of the CZ and EB, I'd do CHI-LAX-PDX, the SWC is a nice ride.

Have you done BAL-CHI before? I'd apply the same rule and try something different. If you're starting up fresh, I'd head up to NYP and take the LSL, the ride up the Hudson at dinnertime is pretty awesome.
Yeah, I've done all of the LSL several times and agree about the Hudson--gorgeous. I have also done the whole CL before (and the Three Rivers when it existed). So the new part will mostly be in the West (or the Southwest).

I have done the CHI-SAC-Oregon (my stop is CMO, just north of Klamath Falls) route before, and don't recommend it. The midnight connection from the CZ to the CS is taxing, especially is the CS is late.

Later this year, I am taking the SWC from CHI and connecting to the CS in LAX -- you get on the same train, but you do it earlier in the day and get to ride up the coast between LAX and San Luis Obispo (SLO), then up the Cuesta Grade, in daylight. I've done it before, and it's a beautiful route. Probably the last time I will take that route, as I won't be able to afford the extra points to do it under the new system.

The midnight connection from the CZ to the CS is taxing, especially is the CS is late.

Worse is the time they pulled us off the SWC at San Bernadino because we wouldn't make the CS connection. We were bussed to take the SJ to Sac only to wait until 2-3 in the morning cuz the CS was running late.

Oooh. If you have the time, I'd totally choose BAL-NOL-LAX-PDX, just because you've never seen any of it. Of course you just said it's not practical for you due to the overnight in NOL. :-(

If you have a shortage of time, I'd probably keep it simple and do NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder.

If you have a bit more time and haven't taken the Cardinal before, Cardinal / Empire Builder would be different.

I've done San Antonio to New York when Amtrak ran the thru sleeper with the overnight at NOL. Too bad they dropped it. It would be a good option for the OP's trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back