Baltimore Freight Derailment, Fire

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Presumably, part of learning to be a firefighter should include learning how to operate a fire truck safely. In theory, that should make you a better truck driver.
Well one would hope that were indeed true; but then I recall the story of the firefighters in Michigan IIRC, who in responding to the scene of an incident parked their fire truck on the tracks. :rolleyes: Whereupon it was promptly hit by a train, an Amtrak train IIRC. Happened a few years back so I'm sure that there are posts on here regarding said incident. I seem to recall that the fire truck was pretty well totaled, although I don't think that there was too much damage to the train.

Now perhaps that was something unique to that fire department, but somehow unfortunately I rather doubt it.

There is a surveillance video of the collision with the truck that has been released. Baltimore Sun webpage with the video. Pretty clear from the video that the truck driver did not stop at the crossing. Also lucky to be alive. If you are patient, wait for the flash at around 6:30 in the video.

Heard an ABC news last night that the truck & the company that owns it both have bad records for safety or something like that. Did a quick search on my iPod for a link but didn't find one.

There is a surveillance video of the collision with the truck that has been released. Baltimore Sun webpage with the video. Pretty clear from the video that the truck driver did not stop at the crossing. Also lucky to be alive. If you are patient, wait for the flash at around 6:30 in the video.
saw that on the news last night. Utterly amazing.

Back