Bar Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I know they sell spirits in the cafe and diner, but it's hardly the same atmosphere a lounge can provide. Hmmmm.... How about a dueling piano bar car?

:giggle:

(picture)
Where do you get old diagrams like that?

What is BYOB?

BTW, when I rode Metra, a bounch of crazy men and women rushed into the same car on the upper deck and were drinking and yelling like crazy! No joke! Tons of Miller 64s! Please drink responsibly!

(picture)

What is BYOB?

BTW, when I rode Metra, a bounch of crazy men and women rushed into the same car on the upper deck and were drinking and yelling like crazy! No joke! Tons of Miller 64s! Please drink responsibly!
BYOB is North American for "Bring your own bottle|booze"

Most Amtrak trains have very little problem with over-indulgers but it does happen sometimes.

(picture)

What is BYOB?

BYOB is North American for "Bring your own bottle|booze"

Most Amtrak trains have very little problem with over-indulgers but it does happen sometimes.
Well, Metra sure had a problem! :eek:

NW cannonball said:
1345943410[/url]' post='389547']
Shawn Ryu said:
1345943255[/url]' post='389546']Kinda OT but does Amfleet cafe cars sell vodkas and other hard liquors? Better yet rum?

Would gladly overpay for some rum on the train.
BYOB
Only in a sleeper can you "legally" BYOB!
Breaking Amtrak rules is not necessarily the same thing as breaking the law. Unless I'm mistaken Amtrak allows you to bring alcohol with you in coach so long as you do not attempt to consume it in "public areas." Maybe you can drink it in the bathroom? :lol: In my experience Amtrak staff are unlikely to take any action unless someone complains or you're being obvious about it or otherwise making a fool of yourself. I've seen folks put off the train for being drunk and I've see other drunk folks allowed to remain even after multiple complaints, which leads me to conclude that there are very few hard and fast rules on Amtrak. Just depends on the conductor and whatever mood they're in I suppose.

Was there ever a bar car on Amtrak? I was watching Silver Streak the other night which was a pretty good parody of Amtrak's early years. A popular scene was set in a bar car, and I wondered if there ever was actually a bar car in the early days of Amtrak. Also wonder what the economics would be to add one to the LD's again.
I dont recall seeing a "Bar Car", but most Trains had Lounges that served as Bars and some Domes had a Downstairs Lounge that just added Frosting on the Cake! My earliest memory of sitting in a Lounge and having a drink was while I was in the Navy and rode on the old New Haven RR from New London to NYC, Beer was an outrageous $1 a Bottle as was a Pack of Cigarettes! :lol:
Amtrak had a bar car on the EB in their early days. I recall the smoke-filled car had a long sit up at the counter

arrangement almost the length of the car. What was amazing the pax partied hardily until 4 a.m. when last call was made.

Maybe it was done to dull the pain of going through beige ND.

I fondly remember my first long haul Amtrak trip back in Summer of 1974 when the folks sent me to visit relatives in Oklahoma. As I wanted to ride the train, I was booked Coach on the Lone Star which then was a whopping $42 one way. The train was still running original Santa Fe Texas Chief equipment, including a full length Lounge just behind the Hi-Level Coaches. They didn't have rules then prohibiting 'younglins from being so many feet from the bar and I enjoyed the fast paced loud atmosphere of that car.

The most comical moment came when an extremely loaded woman proclaimed loudly to her husband Honey aren't you glad you're taking me to Texas! and without missing a bit another almost as barbequed pax responded Yea, and hopefully dump her in the Red River!

Last edited by a moderator:
To the mechanical department of Amtrak, at Sunnyside Yard New York, all food service cars outside of full diners were called 'Bar Cars' on shop forms--lounges, dinettes, clubs, etc.

(picture)
From my collection!
Where'd you collect them from?
That diagram came from a pamphlet Amtrak put out in the 1970s. The pamphlet is notable for the many varieties (by today's standards) of cars showcased, and the 'funky' artwork with all the 'happening' people illustrated. A true classic for its time.

(picture)
From my collection!
Where'd you collect them from?
That diagram came from a pamphlet Amtrak put out in the 1970s. The pamphlet is notable for the many varieties (by today's standards) of cars showcased, and the 'funky' artwork with all the 'happening' people illustrated. A true classic for its time.
At least planes still offer seatmaps for most versions. Now I wish Amtrak would also do so, but Greyhound REALLY needs to do some the most. I don't even know how big the seats are on a 102DL3! :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back