Bedroom Luggage Capacity

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another point to make, is that we gave each of the bedroom attendant $20 and whenever we used the red cap we gave them $5. They all seemed to really appreciate it. When we gave the red cap the tip while getting off the train they would take our luggage right to the first class lounge and when we gave it to the while going to the train the actually took our luggage right up to our bedroom. This was helpful since I had a larger piece and we are old farts, lol. They were all the sweetest and very appreciating.
Clarification question: When you were going to the train, the Red Cap would put your luggage in your bedroom?

Yes they would pick us up at the lounge and take us and luggage to the train. Ask if we want the luggage with us in the bedroom and then told us to lead on and they would handle it. They did a wonderful service. The only ones we ran across that did not seem to want to be there was the girls working the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge and those working the dining car. Everyone else was wonderful. I would tip them as soon as they picked us up

Clarification question: When you were going to the train, the Red Cap would put your luggage in your bedroom?

My experience has been that some Red Caps will do this; some don't offer. I was pleasantly surprised when I first experienced such service. I think it was at Washington.

All of this discussion is sorta useful, but numbers are universal where descriptions are open to interpretation. For instance, our standard airline carry-on is 22x14x9 inches.
Will one fit under Superliner II Bedroom C chairs? Under the couch? Under the couch when it is a bed?
We also use small airline under-the-seat-ahead cases for essentials. They are 16.5x13x9. Where can they fit in the bedroom?
Many thanks in advance.

I hear you about carryon sizes dropping. But I bought a Lowe Alpine Carryon 45 that has, unsurprisingly, a 45 liter capacity and fits, barely, into the current United Airlines carryon test rack. I used to travel for ten or eleven months w a 75 liter pack so it is definitely smaller than that but 45 liters is enough for a spare pair of shoes, my shaving kit, my MacBook, a book and enough clothes for five days. So I do laundry every four or five days when traveling but the Lowe has straps so I can just wear it like a medium sized backpack. The one thing I don’t like about it is that there is no roomy front pocket for a book, just a thin pocket for documents or keys, for obvious reasons.
I have never liked hard side luggage so this soft sided backpack works really well for me. Link below for pictures.

https://www.amazon.com/Lowe-Alpine-AT-Carry-Backpack/dp/B07B9G81H3

This has not been my experience. Every time I've replaced my luggage the new version of the same piece was always smaller than before because the airline rules had changed and become more restrictive. The largest universally accepted no fee luggage size is now so tiny you can barely fit a weekend's worth of clothes if you're lucky.

….

Last edited:
All of this discussion is sorta useful, but numbers are universal where descriptions are open to interpretation. For instance, our standard airline carry-on is 22x14x9 inches.
Will one fit under Superliner II Bedroom C chairs? Under the couch? Under the couch when it is a bed?
We also use small airline under-the-seat-ahead cases for essentials. They are 16.5x13x9. Where can they fit in the bedroom?
Many thanks in advance.
A carry-on bag of that size should fit both under the chair or under the couch--if there is an outside pocket, I would leave it flat rather than overstuffing it. If it doesn't quite fit under the couch, it will fit definitely fit in the overhead rack over the chair. If the described 'airline under-the-seat' item is a hard-sided one, it probably will not fit in the closet; if it is soft-sided, you will likely be able to 'tease' it into the closet, or there is plenty of room under the couch even if you stash a rollaboard there. If you have any problems storing your things, you can stash them on the side of the couch away from the window, assuming you prefer to sit next to the window. Or you can leave a rollaboard next to the chair in front of the bathroom door, though you'll need to move it to access the bathroom.

There is really quite a surprising amount of storage space in the Superliner bedrooms, if you take full advantage of it.

A flashlight (or flashlight app on your phone) is handy to have in case you drop something or mislay something in the room, and a multi-plug adapter that plugs into the one and only outlet in the room
Look on Amazon for a power box which has a 6' or so long cord, and an outlet box on the end. Mine has 4 USBs and 2 110V sockets, so I can just use cords and not have to keep track of wall warts.
A separate LED flashlight for sure, and most important - a roll of duct tape or gaffers' tape for everything from rattles to shoe or baggage repairs. You can find some small diameter core rolls instead of the big ones.
Like a gun, when you need it, you REALLY need it.

Your experience mirrors mine withe the DC Red Caps. Both departing and arriving, their service was excellent, friendly, and deserved the gratuity that that gave them. In Chicago, I also used Red Cap service upon arrival. Needed to get a taxi to a hotel near O'Hare. That Red Cap's efforts to get me a taxi--in the rain--was exemplary. He literally "broke the taxi line" to get me a taxi.
That has been my experience in Chicago. The "Red Caps" were - every trip - fantastic, going way out of their way to help us. And were tipped accordingly. As to the AMTRAK Lounge, I only remember one trip when the people at the entrance desk "Checkpoint Charlie" were even halfway courteous. Don't understand it, as Chicago in general is usually filled with very pleasant people. Oddly enough, when the Lounge was back down the hall next to the tracks, the staff was great, very cozy and comfortable, if at times a bit crowded. Maybe they are protesting the inconvenient location of the Lounge now, with the L O N G schlep down to the tracks.

Hi. I'm fairly new to the app. I've been watching for specific comments, trying to find measurements of luggage that will fit under the couch and chair in the Superliner.

We’re taking the Sunset Limited New Orleans to Los Angeles and Coast Starliner on to Portland in November. No one seems to commit to actual measurements-—including Amtrak. Do actual measurements exist, as the airlines have (20 x 14 x 9) for carry-on size? If using airline approved suitcases, how many will fit?

If you or another has the answer or a link to under seat/couch measurements, it will be appreciated.

If I know what fits, then packing for the two of us for this trip will be a breeze and we can leave lower level common luggage space for others who have larger pieces of luggage.

I forgot to specify we’ll be in a bedroom, not a roomette

Hi. I'm fairly new to the app. I've been watching for specific comments, trying to find measurements of luggage that will fit under the couch and chair in the Superliner.

We’re taking the Sunset Limited New Orleans to Los Angeles and Coast Starliner on to Portland in November. No one seems to commit to actual measurements-—including Amtrak. Do actual measurements exist, as the airlines have (20 x 14 x 9) for carry-on size? If using airline approved suitcases, how many will fit?

If you or another has the answer or a link to under seat/couch measurements, it will be appreciated.

If I know what fits, then packing for the two of us for this trip will be a breeze and we can leave lower level common luggage space for others who have larger pieces of luggage.

I forgot to specify we’ll be in a bedroom, not a roomette
Like you, we don’t like to leave our larger carry-on suitcases unattended in our sleeper’s downstairs luggage rack. During the day, we keep our bedroom’s upper berth in the “down” position and use it as storage shelf for our carry-on items.

Back