Bedroom Question and a luggage one

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey B

Train Attendant
Hope this hasn't been aksed, search the forums and couldn't find anything.

Am I to understand there is a lock on the bedroom doors? Does it only lock from the inside? Or are you given a key for when you are not in your bedrooms?

when you fly, TSA says not to lock your checked luggage or the locks may be cut for inspection. Is this true on amtrak as well or are you able to lock your checked baggage?

Your bedroom can only be locked from the inside. You cannot lock your room when you are not in the room.

Checked luggage can be locked on Amtrak.

I have traveled over 75,000 miles on Superliners, mostly all in bedrooms.......and left my luggage downstairs in the racks unlocked and never had anything missing.......ever. Although I always have all my electronic gadgets in my room (where I am using them anyway). I'm sure on some rare occasions it has happened, but none that I am aware of, or happened on the train that I was on !!!!

I believe that there are increased security measures since I last rode Amtrak, but I don't think they expect you to leave luggage unlocked..

In sleeper cars, you can leave your large cases downstairs on storage racks, cases can be locked, or instead placed in the baggage car for the full duration. (baggage car items are not available during journey).

You can place cases in your room too, but there is limited space, especialy in the "roomettes".

I would not leave anything important downstairs in a case, nor would I leave camera, cd, or other valuables in my sleeper, when I visit the dinner, etc.

Like others, I have travelled many thousands of Amtrak miles, without loss, and have even had someone persue me from the dinner to return my intact wallet!

After my recent visit to America, I had about $6 in quarters which I put in my unlocked checked baggage at the airport, to avoid the hassle of the body scanners, etc. It walked. Funny to think that those who we are supposed to entrust to be so honest and vigilant looking through unlocked luggage for explosives, etc, are sometimes just petty thieves!

Ed B)

After my recent visit to America, I had about $6 in quarters which I put in my unlocked checked baggage at the airport, to avoid the hassle of the body scanners, etc. It walked. Funny to think that those who we are supposed to entrust to be so honest and vigilant looking through unlocked luggage for explosives, etc, are sometimes just petty thieves!
It could have been the airline baggage handlers as well.

The Sleeping Car rooms are a fairly secure place to leave your things. I've done many many trips and I leave my Laptop, Camcorder, iPod, and other items in there, and have never had an incident. But like anywhere else, use common sense. When you leave the room close the drapes and door, and stow your items to not draw in any would be thiefs. The TA's are pretty good about recognizing who belongs and who doesn't belong, and will ask for a ticket from anyone that seems suspicious.

I can guess it's a lot safer as you've not got lots of smaller stops (compared to cities or local services) but why no locks? That sounds like a big mistake.

That'd look good on an insurance claim form wouldn't it? Left in an unlocked room? No cash back for you!

My laptop will be going into my case each time I went out anyway though.

The problem with locks is keeping track of the keys. Each time someone lost their key you'd have rekey the room or cut another set. This is why thanks to modern technology most hotels now use electronic locks of some sort (in addition to the computer tracking of access and the ability to make a master easily). Amtrak could put a similar system in, but the practicality is fairly low. I personally have never heard of any instances of theft (that doesn't mean they don't happen on rare occassions), but the problems are usually fairly isolated. The attendants do a pretty good job policing things. They know who does and doesn't belong.

I'm just finalising my holiday details for next year and my insurance document says this:

Unattended valuables (including those in a vehicle) are uninsured unless in a locked safe, locked hotel room, locked apartment or locked holiday residence'.

Unattended means: when the insured person is not in full view of and not in a position to prevent unauthorised interference with their property.

Best hope Amtrak is as safe as it sounds! I have been told that if I was going to have a nap when travelling coach to make sure my bag is wrapped around my legs though ;)

No problem taking your laptop bag with you to the diner like a woman would take a purse.

I think I'll be taking thousands of photos on my trip next year, especially the California Zephyr. Snap, fill up the card, copy to laptop, repeat and repeat and repeat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back