Bedroom Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine58

Train Attendant
Hi All,

Does anyone know if the armchair in the bedroom is stationary? Or does it recline like the coach seats or slide forward like the roomette seats?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

The chair in the Bedrooms is mounted on a post on the wall and folds up for storage, but otherwise does not recline or slide forward.

It isn't anything like a coach or roomette seat in terms of size, recline or comfort.

Almost an after thought for the sleeper to have two chairs facing each other.
Technically, you are correct, that chair was an after thought. Those chairs did not exist when the cars were first built, both the Viewliner & Superliner cars. Originally there were what could well be described as a well padded folding lawn chair that just sat loosely on the floor. It was folded up at night and slid under the opened lower bed. The chair was more comfortable than what exists today, although still not wonderfully comfortable.

The FRA didn't like having a chair that wasn't anchored to anything and in a crash was sure to become a flying missile. So those older chairs went away maybe 5 or 6 years ago and the current wall mounted chairs were installed.

Oh, I guess I need to look at newer cars then, the last time I was in a sleeper it still folded up and was movable. But next year I will rectify this issue.

That chair in the bedroom gets pretty uncomfortable on the bum after about two hours, IMO.

However it works great for a footrest if you are sitting on the sofa by the window. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back