Beech Grove drive-by

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like, and sorta sounds like, a combination of excessive fuel flow and bad atomization, both of which are probably caused by dirty fuel.
Explain how dirty fuel causes excessive fuel flow.

Thanks!
Throwing off the metering. Its done it on my car, which is a diesel, so I can't imagine its that different on the locomotive.

i know that its fuel injected but if the fuel delivery system on these beasts works anything like a carb....
Its not. Gas engines are externally carbureted, in that the fuel and air mix outside the combustion chamber. Diesels are internal. At the intake stage, air only is drawn into the cylinder. Fuel is injected at the end of the compression stage. The fuel, being injected at incredible pressure, meets the air which is also at incredible pressure and temperature, which causes ignition. No spark.

Complete combustion depends on clean injectors because of the need for atomization.

Throwing off the metering. Its done it on my car, which is a diesel, so I can't imagine its that different on the locomotive.
29 years working on large rail diesel engines, never seen dirty fuel do that to the exhaust.... Most older rail traction engines are reasonably tolerant of dirty fuel, if it's that dirty then the filters will clog up first before and that would only tend to show up on full throttle positions, not idling...

Seen similar smoke effects from an injector linkage on a GM engine come adrift and jam on full fuel position,seen plenty of failed tubochargers cause the same effect on a variety of engines, but then again that comes from practical experience rather than having a car and watching a YouTube video.

Here are my pictures from the Fall 2006 open house that Mr. FSS mentioned earlier:

http://www.rtabern.com/trailsrails-amtrak-bech06.html

I actually met Tom at the Beech Grove open house and that is where I first learned about this forum. We got to chatting when we found out we both drove about 500 miles round-trip to Indianapolis for the tour. (Tom from Lexington, KY and myself from Milwaukee, WI)

This is also where I got my first peek of the very first Cross Country Cafe (37001) still being built.

That appears to be the original layout of the SL1 Diner Lounge, which was even worse than the current design (plus it wasted alot of money by having all the different table and lounge seat variations).

29 years working on large rail diesel engines, never seen dirty fuel do that to the exhaust.... Most older rail traction engines are reasonably tolerant of dirty fuel, if it's that dirty then the filters will clog up first before and that would only tend to show up on full throttle positions, not idling...

Seen similar smoke effects from an injector linkage on a GM engine come adrift and jam on full fuel position,seen plenty of failed tubochargers cause the same effect on a variety of engines, but then again that comes from practical experience rather than having a car and watching a YouTube video.
*shrug* I'm making a guess based on a video. I have found that I tend to be write on such mechanical things bout 60% of the time. Which is pretty good diagnosing things from you tube videos. I have a right to make a guess. I don't claim its right.

*shrug* I'm making a guess based on a video. I have found that I tend to be write on such mechanical things bout 60% of the time. Which is pretty good diagnosing things from you tube videos. I have a right to make a guess. I don't claim its right.
So you don't know is what you are saying?

I'm making a mildly educated guess based on information from a youtube video. To believe I am right with evidence to the contrary, or to assume I must be right, would be fatuous.

Is it like your ultimate goal on this forum to make this guy look like crap? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's humorous to watch both of your fruitless bickering that I used to do to prove I was right in 1st grade, but it gets aggravating that you have some kind of accusation to throw out after ever last sentence he posts.

And I still see this topic and visualize cars driving by Beech Grove busting up the place with bullets... Man this is a strange topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back