Beech Grove rehiring 180 workers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
Indiana's US Senator Evan Bayh has put out a press release stating that 180 workers will be rehired to work on wreck-damaged trains at Beech Grove. Good news for Amtrak, and certainly a political benefit for Mr. Bayh, whether or not he is in fact responsible for this.

Click here to read the release.

Hopefully we can get enough Superliners to Restore the Cardinal to its pre-Auto Train Derailment status, and in turn use it equipment for the Silver Palm. B)

This is an edited transcript of an interview with David Gunn, Amtrak's president and CEO. D:F's Wes Vernon interviewed Gunn in his Union Station office on July 31. Ed.

By Wes Vernon

Washington correspondent

VERNON: Joe McHugh [Amtrak Director of Government Affairs] told me Monday night prior to the accident in Kensington (where the Capital Limited derailed) you had 92 cars out of service, sitting idle in those yards.

GUNN: Yes, at Beech Grove, but we lost eight more.

VERNON: So you have 100 cars.

GUNN: Well, it's 105 cars, actually...

VERNON: Wow, 105 cars, that?s a lot of equipment.

GUNN: It?s a disaster.

VERNON: You have a bill in Congress while you?re waiting for repairs, but I understand you?re not waiting for that.

GUNN: First of all, we?ve got a loan from DOT for $100 million, then the Congress put in a supplemental appropriations $205 million which is not restricted, it?s just operating cash. It?s not for any specific purpose. This will keep us alive in the fall. We requested $1.2 billion next year in prior appropriation, which is the money that actually the previous management put in. I didn?t change it. It?s tight, but I think it?s doable.

What I had planned to do, to the extent I could, was to make significant reductions in non-essential stuff here at Amtrak and put the money into car rebuilding, track and so forth. That was going to happen. We were going to do that in the 2003 budget, which starts in October.

VERNON: So you do have money to start doing that?

GUNN: Well, whether we have the money or not, WE'RE GOING TO START DOING IT.

VERNON: How can you do it without it the money?

GUNN: Well, what I?m doing is... I have enough money to begin cranking up, and I?ve ordered the operating department to begin mobilizing and rebuilding cars, and also restore some level of overhaul on these Amfleet cars. We don?t know what our appropriations will be next year, but it doesn?t matter, because if they?re not going to give us more money to run Amtrak we?ll just go out of business with our shops up and running. If they give us enough money we?ll have rebuilt cars. In other words, we?re at a point where it doesn?t matter. We have to do this; we have to do it if we?re going to run the railroad.

VERNON: So you?re saying...

GUNN: I?m betting on the come, is what I?m doing. [He expects to get the cash-Ed.

You asked, do I have the money, and I?m telling you no, not yet, but I think I?m going to get it, but if I wait until I get it, it?s too late. I won?t be able to spend it. I won?t know until December whether I get $1.2 billion. So what am I going to do? Sit on my thumbs until December? When I don?t have enough cars?

VERNON: (chuckle) In the middle of the night, 2 a.m. December 24th something happens.

GUNN: Yeah, if we waited until December, what would happen to us is we wouldn?t be rebuilding cars until next spring.

==================================

COMMENT! If they started in July, and it is now mid november, and NOTHING has been rebuilt at the Grove yet, and the announcements are JUST NOW coming out that they will be recalling workers to the Grove (nearly FIVE MONTHS LATER), they will most likely be doing just that - NOT rebuilding cars until next spring!!

So much for all the hoopla about "WE ARE STARTING NOW!!!!" (and never mind posts about "it takes time!" - there are no 'environmental impact' reports necessary, and this is FOUR MONTHS LATER!!!)

Pismobum,

I believe that the current skeleton crew at Beach Grove has been slowly turning out cars with minor to moderate damage for over two months. Actually my understanding of this current announcement is that they are recalling workers now with the intent of starting to fix the more heavily damaged cars. This move should merely accelerate the process of getting the less heavily damaged cars out of the shop, while getting started on those with heavy damage. :)

Amtrak has been slowly rehiring maintenance workers who were laid off earlier this year from its car shops in Beech Grove, Ind., near Indianapolis, and Bear, Del., near Wilmington, as Amtrak President David L. Gunn moves toward getting the railroad’s car fleet in a state of good repair.
Here's a more balanced article from Trains.com regarding the rehirings, than the self serving political announcement from the Indiana politician.

You can read the full story by clicking here.

Amtrak rehiring workers at maintenance shops

Amtrak has been slowly rehiring maintenance workers who were laid off earlier this year from its car shops in Beech Grove, Ind., near Indianapolis, and Bear, Del., near Wilmington, as Amtrak President David L. Gunn moves toward getting the railroad’s car fleet in a state of good repair.

At Beech Grove, where 228 workers were laid off, about 45 have returned to work as the facility begins attacking the backlog of wreck-damaged cars. The railroad plans to hire back 180 workers by early next year, Sen. Evan Bayh, D-Ind., told the Associated Press. 

At Bear, which lost 178 to layoffs, about 50 workers have been recalled.

“We will be hiring more at both locations, incrementally, over the next several weeks and possibly months,” said Amtrak spokesman Clifford Black.

Bear maintains and overhauls Amfleet equipment used on the Northeast Corridor and elsewhere. The additional workers will help accelerate the rate of overhauls.

Beech Grove will begin repairing wreck-damaged cars incrementally, as money becomes available, Black said. Amtrak is hoping to ease its chronic car-supply problems — particularly of Superliner equipment used on long-distance trains — by repairing wreck-damaged cars that have sat at Beech Grove for years, earning no revenue.

Although Amtrak revenue is down compared with last year at this time, money saved by cost-cutting across the system is being transferred into maintenance and engineering projects, Black said.

Some of the savings have come from a reduced marketing budget and eliminating 700 jobs in both management and labor ranks, he said.

Comments: Cuts in marketing are BAD. I attribute the reduced marketing to reduced revenue. MANY people don't know Amtrak exists, and the marketing is key to success. To Alan: Can you cut and paste the articles instead of just the links to them? It would be a lot easier for people who are interested in them but don't want to register with a different site just to read them. Thanks.

jccollins said:
To Alan: Can you cut and paste the articles instead of just the links to them? It would be a lot easier for people who are interested in them but don't want to register with a different site just to read them. Thanks.
JCCollins,

Actually, no I can't as it's against Trains.com's terms and conditions to repost their articles. Something that you also agreed to when you registered on their site.

Except as expressly authorized by Kalmbach Publishing Company, you agree not to sell, license, rent, modify, distribute, copy, reproduce, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, publish, adapt, edit, or create derivative works from such materials or content.

AlanB said:
jccollins said:
To Alan: Can you cut and paste the articles instead of just the links to them?  It would be a lot easier for people who are interested in them but don't want to register with a different site just to read them.  Thanks.
JCCollins,

Actually, no I can't as it's against Trains.com's terms and conditions to repost their articles. Something that you also agreed to when you registered on their site.

Except as expressly authorized by Kalmbach Publishing Company, you agree not to sell, license, rent, modify, distribute, copy, reproduce, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, publish, adapt, edit, or create derivative works from such materials or content.
Can you

Quote them?

Viewliner said:
I'm not 100% sure just what every company might enforce.

To be safe, the generally accepted practice is to only quote, in a quote box, one maybe two paragraphs of the text. Then provide a link to the full article, along with making sure to give credit to the website where you found said article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back