Beginning my BIG trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marylee

Train Attendant
I'm on my way to Denver to catch the CZ on Saturday. I will be joined by 2 friends. It is my 2nd LD trip but their 1st and I want everything to go well, so I'm going to ask for your help. We have roomettes and I'm assuming we will have breakfast as soon as we board.

We'll be catching the CS at Sacramento. We have around 10 hours layover. We've investigated places to have dinner and sightsee but my friend is a little worried about the safety of the station for the latter part of the evening.

We're going up to Portland and I think we've got that pretty covered. After renting cars and exploring the coast and other spots, my friends will fly back to Denver. I will continue from Portland to Seattle. Can I check my luggage if I'm going on the Cascades or do I have to bring all of it on board since it's a short trip? I'll be in Seattle for a couple of days before I catch the EB to Chicago and then the CZ back to Denver. Will my checked bags have to be picked up in Chcago since it's not a same day connection or is it considered a connecting trip since the CZ leaves before the EB arrives - even if it's on time!

That's another thing I'm a bit concerned with - how late the EB has been recently. Any suggestions on a near by hotel and how safe can I feel if the EB is very late?

Finally on the next day when I'm waiting for the CZ, can I go to the lounge since I had a roomette for EB but due to the fact I had to change things a month ago, I'm in coach on CZ. Is it considered connecting?

Thanks for all the good advice you all give here. I have really enjoyed reading this site everyday. It has really helped with the pleasure of planning the trip. Marylee

Last I heard breakfast is not served on the Zephyr departing Emeryville or Sacramento. I suggest you have your breakfast prior to boarding.

I lived in Sacramento for 10 years and have used that station recently. A 10 hour layover is perfectly safe. I suggest a visit to the California State Railroad Museum (a short walk), the State Capitol building (a somewhat longer walk) or any of the other numerous historical sights. Yes, it's downtown and you may see a few low-lifers lurking around as in any downtown area, but as long as you use common sense you will be fine. Lots of office worker types around in the daytime, less crowded, but still safe at nite. The station itself is always safe at any time of day or nite.

Yes, the Cascades have checked luggage service, even for short trips, so check those bags Portland to Seattle!

Re: your checked luggage SEA-CHI-DEN: You can check your bags in Seattle to Denver and you will not have to bother with them until your arrival in Denver where they will be waiting for you. They may send them on the same trains you are traveling on (SEA-CHI-DEN) or the alternate route: SEA-SAC-DEN. Either way, as long as you don't need them in Chicago it should not make a difference to you.

Re: Hotels in station area in Chicago: There are many good ones, but, I'm not an expert on this and I'll let someone else give specific recommendations. I do know that the Palmer House (if you're not on a tight budget) is very nice and safe.

Re: Getting to hotels safely. (I take it that you are a woman traveling alone) Shouldn't be a problem. I suggest taking a cab, which are plentiful, even for a short distance (just to feel secure).

All this is based on my extensive Amtrak travels and my long-time use of Chicago Union Station. Feel free to contact me for any other advice

I'm on my way to Denver to catch the CZ on Saturday. I will be joined by 2 friends. I We have roomettes and I'm assuming we will have breakfast as soon as we board. We'll be catching the CS at Sacramento. We have around 10 hours layover. We've investigated places to have dinner and sightsee but my friend is a little worried about the safety of the station for the latter part of the evening.

I will continue from Portland to Seattle. Can I check my luggage if I'm going on the Cascades or do I have to bring all of it on board since it's a short trip? I'll be in Seattle for a couple of days before I catch the EB to Chicago and then the CZ back to Denver. Will my checked bags have to be picked up in Chcago since it's not a same day connection or is it considered a connecting trip since the CZ leaves before the EB arrives - even if it's on time!

That's another thing I'm a bit concerned with - how late the EB has been recently. Any suggestions on a near by hotel and how safe can I feel if the EB is very late?

Finally on the next day when I'm waiting for the CZ, can I go to the lounge since I had a roomette for EB but due to the fact I had to change things a month ago, I'm in coach on CZ. Is it considered connecting?

Thanks for all the good advice you all give here. I have really enjoyed reading this site everyday. It has really helped with the pleasure of planning the trip. Marylee
:hi: Great trip! Yes, you will have Breakfast in Denver after you board the Train! Be sure and snag seats in the Sightseer Lounge for the trip up the front Range out of Denver, some of the best Scenery in North America! Dont hesitate, seats go fast!

If the Zephyr is on time into Sacramento you can go to the California Rail Museum, one of the best anywhere but it closes @ 5PM! Its right by Union Station! Old Sacramento is also by the Rail Museum on the River and it has plenty of Resturants, stores and even a Hotel on a River Boat! (Pricey) The Sacramento Station is Safe but isnt anything to wriite home about! It's under going rehab, the Platforms are now a long way away from the Station via a Tunnel1 Hopefully the Station will have Air conditioning by the time you arrive, it can get Very Hot in Sacramento! As an Alternate you might want to consider going on to Emeryville where you wont have such a Long Layover waiting on the Starlight! Youll still have time for Dinner and the Station is nicer there!

You can check your Luggage to Seattle from Portland on the Cascades and if you are going in Business Class you can use the Metro Lounge in the Station while you wait for your Train! (also you can visit to refresh yourselves when you arrive since you are in a Sleeper on the Starlight!)

You dont have to worry about Safety in Chicago @ Union Station! Since you are spending the night, just hop a Cab to your Hotel, there are Panhandlers around the Outside of the Station but also lots of Security and Lots of People around! I dont know how much you want to spend for a Hotel just to spend a night, Chicago Hotels can be pricey, use Google and check all the Downtown Hotels but if you like Hostels the Hostel International in Chicago on Congress is one of the Best in the World, under $40 and it includes Breakfast! Great Location only 10 Blocks from the Union Station, close to the Lake and Michigan Ave. and State Street, THE Chicago Streets! Definitely worth considering over a $300 a night Room in the same Area!

Since you are in Coach from Chicago, Unfortunately you wont be able to use the Metro Lounge :( but if the Zephyr is Sold Out and you want a Roomette keep checking, amsnag.net is a great Tool to find Fares and rooms and was developed by one of our members Paul M!

Last edited by a moderator:
MaryLee, I just returned from a trip out to Washington state and back on the EB - coming from the south part of Illinois to reach the Chicago departure. Poor connections, both coming and going, forced me to book a hotel near Union Station ahead of the trip. I opted for a 3.5 star Holiday Inn and Suites on West Harrison St., about 5 blocks from the station. I could have walked it, but for safety's sake [woman traveling alone] I took a cab from the cab stand outside Union Station. They are there at all hours, trust me! Cab fare was apx. $5, and the hotel was @$160 with taxes - and that was early August. Not a bad price for the Loop. It's nothing fancy, but I was very comfortable, it was clean and had wi-fi so I was good to go. The front desk had a cab back to Union Station for me in 5 minutes the next morning. Good luck and have a great trip!

My apologies MaryLee for misreading your itinerary. :blink: I thought you were getting on the CZ in the SF Bay Area and going to Denver either too much coffee or not enough! Just the same I'm sure that you'll have good time in Sacramento if the CZ is at or near OT. Lots of good restaurants short cab ride away from the station.

Enjoy the trip!

Three places in Oregon that are must see:

1. Columbia River Gorge

2. Mt Hood and Timberline Lodge

3. Crater Lake

Just my .02$

You can check your Luggage to Seattle from Portland on the Cascades and if you are going in Business Class you can use the Metro Lounge in the Station while you wait for your Train! (also you can visit to refresh yourselves when you arrive since you are in a Sleeper on the Starlight!)
I don't recall any recent changes for the Met Lounge in Portland that would allow a person holding a BC ticket to get into the lounge. Only Chicago is doing that to my knowledge.

That said, her sleeper ticket on the EB later that day would grant her access to the Met Lounge in Portland.

As per the Amtrak website, it looks like you indeed CAN access both the Portland and Chicago Met lounges with a business class ticket. While I remember the Portland lounge being very nice, I was just in CHI two weeks ago and that lounge is a complete madhouse, with the ONLY benefit being free luggage storage, and if travelling coach or business, preboarding. Also, I was in the same predicament in SAC a few weeks ago; we chose to take a Capitol corrider train and spend a few hours in San Francisco. The Sacramento station is a mess during remodeling and has no AC. If travelling with a companion, you buy a full fare Capitol ticket, and get the second at 5 bucks. Can't beat that! Check the Capitol website for details.

I don't recall any recent changes for the Met Lounge in Portland that would allow a person holding a BC ticket to get into the lounge. Only Chicago is doing that to my knowledge.

That said, her sleeper ticket on the EB later that day would grant her access to the Met Lounge in Portland.
Alan: Please see the Post after mine,(#8 by joeRids) I thought I remembered Reading that Business Class Passengers could now use the Metro Lounges in CHI AND PDX! If this is a mistake, then we'll all have the Correct Word! If Seattle and LAX end up with Lounges I would expect Biz Class Pax to have this Perk there also!

Alan: Please see the Post after mine,(#8 by joeRids) I thought I remembered Reading that Business Class Passengers could now use the Metro Lounges in CHI AND PDX! If this is a mistake, then we'll all have the Correct Word! If Seattle and LAX end up with Lounges I would expect Biz Class Pax to have this Perk there also!
Jim & Joe,

I do see what you are referring to, but I'm not sure that is correct. The only lounge that I'm aware of that allows BC pax is Chicago, and that is only because the State of Illinois pushed for that perk. I think it a mistake on the part of Illinois to have pushed for it, at least prior to the opening of the new lounge. And I think it a mistake for Amtrak to have allowed it, since it now creates one more disparity between BC seats within the Amtrak system. And one must remember that most people don't see it as a State sponsored service, they see it as an Amtrak service. It is going to get harder and harder for Amtrak to explain why BC means something different every place one goes.

And unless the LA lounge has a lot more room than I'm thinking, I wouldn't expect that BC pax will be invited in unless they have status. There are a lot more BC pax out riding the Surfliners than either the Lincoln's or the Cascades can carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back