Being grateful on a sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yumacool

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
My wife and I boarded the Texas Eagle in Los Angeles this past weekend prior to its departure at 10 p.m. The roomette directly across the aisle from ours was occupied by an elderly man and wife -- the man looked like he had experienced a stroke, he hesitantly walked with a limp and his arm was stiff in a sling, and had no choice but to use the lower bunk. His wife was sprightly, but it seemed daunting for her to maneuver her way into the upper bunk.

The sleeping car attendant spent quite a bit of time with them trying to make the situation work. No larger rooms were available, so staying in the roomette was the only choice. One of the other passengers showed the woman how he and his wife slept together on the lower bunk. She said they looked like "sardines."

I don't know how the situation finally resolved itself, as I detrained in the middle of the night and the shades to that roomette were drawn shut. I felt bad for them, but it also made me grateful for the good health my wife and I share. Also, I admire this couple for having the courage to take a cross-country jaunt and to not let adversity get them down.

Nice post.

You also touched on one thing you tend to find more often on a train than any other form of public transportation: passengers helping passengers (as opposed to griping about infants acting like such babies with their crying, complaining about other passengers moving around, etc).

I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but if travelers are going to pull together, it seems more likely to happen on a train.

Latest posts

Back