Best Amtrak routes for snow lovers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/travel/destinations/2016/01/13/snow-amtrak-train-route/78696000/

he best part about train travel is watching the world pass by at ground level. For snow lovers, a winter rail journey offers a bonus chance to revel in the winter landscape from the comfort of a window seat.

For Winter 2016, Amtrak has identified five rail routes that promise great seasonal scenery.

California Zephyr, Chicago - Emeryville (San Francisco): This route passes the Rockies and Lake Tahoe.

Adirondack, New York - Montreal: See the frosted Hudson Valley as the train makes its way to Canada.

Empire Builder, Chicago - Portland/Seattle: Glacier National Park in the wintertime provides some stunning sights.

Lakeshore Limited, Chicago - New York: Frozen lakes and snowy shores are the main attraction on this route.

Vermonter, Washington, D.C. - St. Albans, Vt.: Nothing says "snow" like Vermont.

See scenes from these and other snowy Amtrak routes in the slideshow above

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/travel/destinations/2016/01/13/snow-amtrak-train-route/78696000/

he best part about train travel is watching the world pass by at ground level. For snow lovers, a winter rail journey offers a bonus chance to revel in the winter landscape from the comfort of a window seat.

For Winter 2016, Amtrak has identified five rail routes that promise great seasonal scenery.

California Zephyr, Chicago - Emeryville (San Francisco): This route passes the Rockies and Lake Tahoe.

Adirondack, New York - Montreal: See the frosted Hudson Valley as the train makes its way to Canada.

Empire Builder, Chicago - Portland/Seattle: Glacier National Park in the wintertime provides some stunning sights.

Lakeshore Limited, Chicago - New York: Frozen lakes and snowy shores are the main attraction on this route.

Vermonter, Washington, D.C. - St. Albans, Vt.: Nothing says "snow" like Vermont.

In addition...The Empire Builder across the Cascades in winter is snowy and beautiful.

In addition...The Empire Builder across the Cascades in winter is snowy and beautiful.
I have seen very beautiful snowy scenes even on the Coast Starlight during the Winter and early Spring through the Cascades!

Plenty of snow between Chemult and Eugene going over Cascade Summit.
But the rest of the route, not so much. For mile after mile of frozen landscape, the EB is probably the best bet, but the sheer amount of snow on the CZ in both Colorado and California probably makes that route the winner.

I have done the westbound CZ in early March. What a great snow trip. Was in a bedroom in last car so the view out the back window was terrific. Great photos coming out of tunnels. Whenever I needed the SCA I knew where to find him as he was looking out the back a lot also!

We just booked a February trip on the California Zephyr - the current snow cover is very good from the Denver to Donner Pass in CA, and so far this winter the weather pattern seems to favor some more storms along that route.

Also - try to schedule your trip around a full moon, and book a bedroom or Roomette, to allow evening viewing of the snow covered landscape. In a bedroom or Roomette you can dim the lights and see out quite well, especially when there is plenty of snow on the ground and a full moon.

There is snow on the ground in Maine, so if you're on the Downeaster this time of year you'll definitely see some nice snow-covered landscapes, my favorites happen to be going between Dover and Wells and going through the Scarborough marsh area between Old Orchard Beach and Portland.

I haven't been on the train between Freeport and Portland, but if I'm not mistaken, I think it passes through a bit of scenery along that way too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back