Best and Worst

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
The best train I was on was the Japanese bullet train. It travels about 150 mph. There is a speedometer in the lounge car. They are commuter trains with no overnight sleeping facilities. They are computer controlled with station signs counting down the seconds until arrival. The doors would stop exactly where lines for passengers were marked on the platform.

The worst trains were in China. One was from Shanghai to some point west and the other was from Canton to Hong Kong. The bathrooms would alternate between American and Oriental styles between cars. If you have never seen an oriental bathroom it is just a hole in the floor. I leave it to your imagination as to how it is used.

denmarks said:
The best train I was on was the Japanese bullet train. It travels about 150 mph. There is a speedometer in the lounge car. They are commuter trains with no overnight sleeping facilities. They are computer controlled with station signs counting down the seconds until arrival. The doors would stop exactly where lines for passengers were marked on the platform.
The worst trains were in China. One was from Shanghai to some point west and the other was from Canton to Hong Kong. The bathrooms would alternate between American and Oriental styles between cars. If you have never seen an oriental bathroom it is just a hole in the floor. I leave it to your imagination as to how it is used.
Though I can't account for myself. About 8 years ago my mom took a work trip to China. She rode a train between to cities (forget which ones) and said it was an "interesting" experience. I guess there are two classes, she was in the nicer of the two, but apparently in the lower class the cars were filled to capacity and beyond with passengers, animals, and luggage. She was riding in what seemed to be more of a "tourist" class, but it was not even up to a US's commuter train standards. Also, trains in China are still pulled by steam.

As for the best train I've been? Well through me on any Amtrak train and I'm set.

Best train I've been on? I have to say the Ocean from Halifax to Montreal at the end of the summer before I went to college. It was '95, and August was beautiful - the setting sun over New Brunswick as I ate the best dinner in the diner I've ever had. Plus the sentimental part - I was travelling with my parents for the last time before school started. I had been away at prep school before, but college is different. I really need to do the Canadian.at some point.

Worst trains? It's a tie between the 3 AM NJT local back to Princeton (change at Princeton Jct.) on a rainy Saturday night in March (it was always bad, but rainy nights in March were the worst), and the night train from Nice to London (change in Lille, and in the 2nd class couchettes) after being dumped by my girlfriend with whom I was travelling in the summer after college. It so happened that there was a thunderstorm that night, and there was catenary down south of Lyon, so we were five hours late into Lille, I missed my reserved connection with the Eurostar, and had to wait for three hours for a Eurostar with open seats to come in, thinking about the girl the whole time. Not fun trips either one.

I think the best train I've been on is the high-speed train between Madrid and Seville in Spain. The Eurostar is nice, but I think this is better. Crusing along at smoothly 125mph, enjoying the countryside, very nice looking young women serving you drinks at your seat, life can't get much better!

As far as North American trains go, I liked the Super Continental in Canada.

Friendly crew, good food, a dark dome lounge at night to watch the plains and towns roll by; like American train used to be.

Hard to answerabout the best, there have been so many, and of course I have pre-Amtrak frames of reference as well as Amtrak. I might venture the Acela as one. The CZ(both pre-Amtrak and Amtrak) and the Broadway Limited would be some others. Of course there is also the Super Chief, the Panama Limited(overnight train on same route as today's City of New Orleans.

For the worst train, OBJECTIVELY there is no way to answer other than the old Georgia R.R. mixed train from Atlanta to Augusta. Now, SUBJECTIVELY it was a lot of fun for a one-time "mood thing" by a hard-core railroader. But taking 10 hours for what should have been a 3 hour trip, very loose schedule, zero amenities(I don't just mean no diner or lounge, I mean no lights or air, and water out of a spring moutain water jug. Retainer toilets, FORGET IT. I was the only passenger. Many days it had none--had about one passenger a month they told me. About 80 freight cars and one very uncared for un washed very dusty and mouldy formerly beautiful stainless steel coach from the 1949 version of the Crescent. Lots of fun, but OBJECTIVELY, about as terrible as one could ask for, in this country.

They only operated it because they got some huge tax emption for maintaining "passenger service". Once that went away, the train went away. Oh, btw, the fares were stuck back at a time when there were real trains on the route. My one way fare was about $5 when my return on Greyhound the next day was about $30, as it would probably have been on the train if "real" train service was still operating.

BEST and WORST?

The best would probably be The Canadian, which I did last summer from Toronto to Vancouver. What a great train, great diner, dome cars, nice lounges and that Park Car at the end. Every worker was nice! Food was outstanding.

That said, I've enjoyed the CZ twice, and loved the Empire Builder both times I took it. A LONG time ago I took the SW Chieff and liked it.

I've had lots of nice trains in northern Europe but mostly short distance, so not comparable.

Worst? As i said in another post: a few Serbian trains I was on. Worse than the Thaii train (which had animals onboard).

I've had some interesting train rides. Once on an Italian train filled with Italian soldiers in uniform. There were so many they were even standing in the corridor all night. They would harrass the western girls constantly, more irritating than anything for them, I imagine. I felt sorry for them (the giirls).

The ride between Thessaloniki and Athens is LONG and uncomfortable with no amenities. Scenery is nice, though.

The Russian trains are cool. Interesting 72 hour ride from St. Petersburg to Sofia, Bulgaria. Lost the diner after a few hours. You have to take your own food aboard for the whole journey! Four berths per room or six per room. I did four. Shared with a Bulgarian couple and their German Shepherd. It was kind of nice. I was the ONLY westerner on board. Ukrainian customs officials were giving some hell to the Russians and Bulgarians at the 3am border stop, but treated me, an American, like some kind of king. :)

Egyptian train was not too nice but it was only a four or five hour ride. I just remember chickens flapping their wings in the car and little kids 'sleeping' up on the luggage rack. No AC of course.

One of the most interesting and exciting train trips I have taken was in Switzerland between Geneva and Lausanne. I arrived in the morning with no particular train in mind to take, and there was an Italian "Cisaplino" train, Italy's version of the TGV. All I had to do was show my railpass and was able to get on board, and I rode in the diner. It was a nice train: Sleek, fast, comfortable, furturistic!

Cisalpino train leaving Lausanne, Switzerland

I sat there, sipping coffee, looking out the window at both the train and the beautiful scenery outside--Lake Geneva, the French Alps on the other side, farms and vinyards and castle ruins on the other side. It was a sunny day, so everything sparkled. The trip lasted only about an hour, but it was a memorable one.

as someone who has lived in china for 4 years, i can say that yes, the toilets are squat toilets "holes in the floor" but these are better than some of the toilets i have seen in greyhound and amtrak stations in the US.

also, most trains in china do not have steam locomotives these days, they are run by diesel or electric ones.

Some of the best trains in the world in my opinion are the European high-speed trains. I've got to ride on the Thalys, Cisalpino, TGV, Eurostar D'Italia, and the ICE. All were impressive, my favority probably being the Thalys. 200mph and huge seats, an incredible experience.

I've never really been on a bad train so to speak.

Is there even such thing as a bad train? :D

All of my experiences on Amtrak have been top notch thus far, except for one: The Crescent back in 1996 (or so) when it went to a tri-weekly schedule on the NOL-ATL segment and lacked a DIning Car. The service at that point was not as good as in years past.

Hi Nativeson,

Oh yes, there are bad trains :) A couple of slow, aging Italian trains i was on, and the Belgrade-Thesaloniki run as well. Nevr again!

I can't really say that I have been on a bad train. Probably one of the more challenging experiences for me was an ill-fated trip on the #261 steam engine between Chicago and Galesburg. I was hoping to introduce my girlfriend to the drama of a steam train. However, as we stood int the vestibule rounding the curve onto the BNSF main, with the steam engine accelerating and blowing smoke, she remarked, "isn't this an ozone alert day?" Did not get much better either. The bearings overheated on the engine, and we limped along at 15 miles an hour from Mendota to Galesburg. It was about 90 outside, and the AC crapped out. It took ten hours to reach galesburg, which we did about 5 P.M. Then the train did not leave until arouond 11 P.M. , bringing us back into Chicago about 2 A.M. Folks, that was a rought day on the RR. And she was not impressed,

However, great train rides, every other train that I have been on. Even the late ones!!!. More for the money. :D

My favorites: High speed trains in Europe.

The older Eurocity expresses with compartments for day travel. Never shared one with a beautiful lady, but I do enjoy having one to myself and listenitng to music and llooking out the always clean window.

The Canadain and Ocean in Canada.

And my favorite Amtrak train right now is the California Zephyr. Rode it twice during the last school year.

I had a few trains in my life: CZ (Amtrak-era), Moscow<-->Beijing and from 1959 to about 1980 the Budapest <--> Moscow r/t twice yearly. Can perhaps count the spikes between Moscow and Budapest. I had travel through China in 80-s and a few times within USSR in 70-s and 80-s. Later I was frequently on the German rails, ICE and etcetera. Many good trips, and only a few awful (due weather, accidents, failed equipment, nasty conductors or sleeper attendants). Most r/r employees from Beijing to Emeryville did the job exceptionally well, even under hard conditions. Wish, the airline industry would keep the same standard.

The REAL nasty trip? My friend got everything (money, passport, etc) stolen on a train in Mali, Africa. I was spared this kind of event.

BTW: did everyone notice, the only great service we get from Airline industry is on Singapore Airline. However, the same (or better) level of service we get DAILY on everything what rolls on the rails bettween Athens and Timbuktu - and resembles a sleeper - with very few exceptions.

With the sleeper prices in Europe and Asia (running about $20/night/person) and the USA (getting a heck of deal upgrading on board and free meals) it is difficult to justify NOT to use a train and sleeper.

Going to a conference in Colorado this March and looking forward to take CZ again.

Guest_gyuri_ft said:
I had a few trains in my life: CZ (Amtrak-era), Moscow<-->Beijing and from 1959 to about 1980 the Budapest <--
I like trains but 11 years getting to Budapest seems like an awfully long trip.

11 years - but more than 22 trips. Not that bad as a single 11 y. long trip. The first one I remember I was 3 y. old and the sleeping car attendant begun to teach me how "bad" is JFK and how "good" is Khrushchov. Well, I recall I did learn. Many were nice guys but their political "correctness" had to be proven, otherwise they could not serve on international trains.

An other interesting (politically) moment was when I fond myself on a Chinese "Ying Zuo Che" (hard-seat) train going from Xining to Golmud. That was back in 1986. The relation between USSR and China was not the best (mildly speaking) and NOT MANY Soviet citizens did travel on Chinese hard-seaters at that time in the direction of Tibet. But I did. (The trick: I did keep the USSR passport while permanently living in Hungary to avoid the draft in Hungarian army. With "permanent immigation" stamped in the otherwise regular-looking Soviet passport one could travel everywhere, no restrictions). Anyway, I did feature that nice "red book" while my g/f the "regular" blue Hungarian.

At one point (perhaps as the train was nearing Chinese gulags?) the rail police begun to check the "long nose" people. Routinely they look all the backpackers - and gee!!! One harmlessly looking backpacker turned out to be a genuine KGB spy. I was expecting, the communication with Chinese will be a bit difficult - but to my amazament, they found a perfectly Russian-speaking secret police guy. The dialog (roughly):

- "Why are you traveling with Soviet passport here"?

- "To see Chinese west and esp. Tibet. I have this passport to avoid military draft in Hungary. I am coward and besides, I have no interest in any military or political carrier in any country"

- "Where you live and what you work?"

- "Xiong-ya-li" (or Hungary, which in Chinese actually means "Land of big-teeth Huns" or "Land of big-teeth marauders/barbarians"). I am engineer, I work with computers"

- "Are you "barbarian"? (see the moovie MuLan!)

- "My dad is, my mom is Russian"

- "Are you traveling alone?"

- "Obviously not"

MuLan wasn't done in 1986, but the policeman knew what "barbarian" (from Chinese point of view) does mean. The blue passport of my g/f was of certain help, too. And at this point the secret policeman begun suspect, the KGB is not on the train this time.

He did continue scratching his head:

- "Therefore you are actually our relative, or at least relative to the people living in West China"

- "Yes, some scientists believe so"

- "So you are here to visit the graves of your anchestors, don't you?"

This looked to be the closest to the truth (and looked a tad better than, say "distribute Social-imperialist and anti-maoist ideas") so I said "yes". My "carrier" of KGB spy and "Social-Imperialist agitator" abruptly ended. The chatting became very innocent and the police left soon afterwards.

That was in 1986. Today it's a different world.

I may add on the top end side of overnight trains VIA RAIL's triweekly Hudson Bay between Winnipeg, MB and Churchill, MB - a very slow one day but two nights run (33 hours). In off season they have one Chateau or Manor Sleeper plus one Diner of the Canadian equipment, so very smooth and stylish ride.

Many locals use the train as it grants the only overland access to the Hudson Bay port of Churchill in permafrost terrain.

On the other end of this world all Queensland Rail overnight services in NE Australia are excellent and give great value for money. For viewing the best trip is Spririt of the Outback btw. Brisbane, Rockhampton and the outback town of Longreach. For an outlandish trip the Inlander Townsville to Mount Isa, a laidback mining town scores best.

Cheers.

Best - most interesting but not necessarily most comfortable - was the ride from Urumqi in NthWest China through the mountains to Alma Ata in Kazakhstan. Best for comfort but quite boring - TGV Lausanne to Paris. Worst - comfortwise was having to share the carriage with drunken hostile guards between Paris and Amsterdam and another going through Bulgaria south to Istanbul where the carriage entrances were filled with snow and there was no heating! Scariest - being taken off the train by a crowd of armed guards and soldiers at the Yugoslav border! All worked out OK. Now - ask about some of the train stations we've been in........another topic entirely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back