Best Darn Burger!!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reno89502

Service Attendant
So I was on Acela in First class the other day, and I didn't like their menu choices so I went to the cafe for a burger. It was the best burger I have had on Amtrak!! What made it so good, THEY TOASTED THE BUN!!!! They took the burger out and only microwaved the patty, put the bun in the toaster, and WHAM!!! They need to do this system wide!!

They microwaved the patty? Was it a beef patty or a vegie/garden patty? If beef, yuck.

Most if not all non-Acela Lounge Cars do not have the technology to toast a bun; so we have to put up with C-store type Burgers. Now the Deluxe Cheeseburger they sell on the Heartland Flyer is pretty good, even out of the microwave.

I've had a couple of cafe attendants do that. I must have given the guy a strange look the first time because he smiled and said he takes the meat out and keeps the bun separate so it doesn't get soggy. I've also had a couple of them ask if I want the bun heated or not. The trains I ride don't have a toaster oven, though.

Haven't ridden the Acela yet, but IMO the best darn burgers on Amtrak's Diner menu are the Black Bean Burgers. I do love a good hamburger, but I order the BBB for lunch as eagerly as others order the steak for dinner. :)

All amfleets have ovens for the buns. The horizons used to, although I saw one recently which did not have such, so perhaps they were removed on all(or perhaps just the one I was on.)

All this talk about toasters. I thought you were talking about ?AEM-7's? :giggle:

They microwaved the patty like they always do.
Sorry, but there is no way that microwaving the beef patty, produces the "best darn burger". If it did, you'll see McD's replacing all their fry/grills with faster microwaves all over the world.

Haven't ridden the Acela yet, but IMO the best darn burgers on Amtrak's Diner menu are the Black Bean Burgers. I do love a good hamburger, but I order the BBB for lunch as eagerly as others order the steak for dinner. :)
I like the BBB very much also, and usually have it for lunch because I save the meat meal for supper (either the steak or the chicken, or other special such as ribs or lamb shank).

If it doesn't moo, it ain't a burger. BBB, no thanks. To me it's as appetizing as the plate it's served upon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but there is no way that microwaving the beef patty, produces the "best darn burger". If it did, you'll see McD's replacing all their fry/grills with faster microwaves all over the world.
Actually, McDonald's put microwaves in ALL their stores in the mid nineties. When they switched to "Made for You", the process involves batch cooking buns and patties and staging them in temperature and humidity controlled cases. Then when they made a sandwich it was reheated in the microwave before it was sent up to the customer.

McDonald's later switched to better, hotter cabinets and a 13 second toaster and eliminated the microwave step. Overall either system resulted in nearly identical tasting cheeseburgers. The current system though does result in a fresher product and less waste.

I like the BBB very much also, and usually have it for lunch because I save the meat meal for supper (either the steak or the chicken, or other special such as ribs or lamb shank).
I feel the same way about beef. The black bean patty does make a very tasty sandwich though.

I love BBBs, but I also love the compromise - mixing black beans into regular burgers. YUM. It's really good with guacamole.

Reading comprehension fail.

It was the best burger I have had on Amtrak!!
As I grow older, but not necessarily wiser, I have come to the sobering fact that the only thing I really like from McDonalds anymore is the Chicken (quasi) McNugget. Now, with recent revelations in the news, apparently 'chicken nuggets' are comprised of chicken muscle, chicken organs, and chicken bone particles Well, as is often said: "Parts is parts." Or more to the point, in the classic Chevy Chase movie 'Vacation', there is a scene where the matriarch of the family (Aunt Edna) played by Imogene Coca shrugs off the fact that the dog peed on the picnic basket and without hesitation bites right into the sandwich as if to say 'I have lived long enought to not give a **** about a dog peeing on my lunch.' Such is my outlook on McDonalds and the elusive (all chicken meat) McNugget. Disclaimer: I am old enough to remember the first McDonalds opening near Jefferson Villiage in Falls Church, VA on Arlington Blvd. This was the kind of facility where the golden arches projected thru the building proper and there were side viewing areas were the public could look thru the all glass structure and watch your burgers being grilled. I shocked my parents at that young age by proclaiming that 'I wanted to be a Manager at that McDonalds so I could have my fill of burgers at any time. They were less than supportive of my hunger based pang for a career path.

Lucky for you that your Parents were so Smart! Fast Food is an Honest, Hard Work/Low Pay Career, But its Geared to Kids, Both as Workers and as Unhealthy Stomach Filler! I'll take a Mom and Pop Burger Joint over Mega Chains Any Day!

Disclaimer: I Love Bar-B-Q (Definitely Not Healthy) but at least the Meat is Real! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, McDonald's put microwaves in ALL their stores in the mid nineties. When they switched to "Made for You", the process involves batch cooking buns and patties and staging them in temperature and humidity controlled cases. Then when they made a sandwich it was reheated in the microwave before it was sent up to the customer.
McDonald's later switched to better, hotter cabinets and a 13 second toaster and eliminated the microwave step. Overall either system resulted in nearly identical tasting cheeseburgers. The current system though does result in a fresher product and less waste.
Well, let's not gross out too many posters who like fast food, er, "quick service" as the indutry likes to call itself...but "didja know" most of your hamburgers have been cooked at least 5 X before you eat them?

Hint, consider irradiation as "cooked" and number one...

I like the black bean burger because it doesn't pretend to be meat, like a lot of nonmeat burgers. It's black beans and corn. That being said, I usually order it with cheese and bacon, which usually gets me a double-take from the waiter.

I like the black bean burger because it doesn't pretend to be meat, like a lot of nonmeat burgers. It's black beans and corn. That being said, I usually order it with cheese and bacon, which usually gets me a double-take from the waiter.
A lot of people call that the "Hypocrite Burger". :)

I too, even thou I am far from Vegan, totally agree that the Black Bean Burger is FAR SUPERIOR to the Angus Burger on Amtrak. Ever try to order a beef burger medium rare? IMPOSSIBLE. If I've had one, I've had a hundred, "hockey puck" Am-Beef-Burgers.

LSA's who like to make good tips learn very, very, very, early that when a cusx orders a pre-packaged beef burger or even a Nathan's hot dog, it is wise to remove the meat from the plastic, "zap" it in the Nuke, and then place it back in the bun, and "zap" it again, albeit briefly, so the bun doesn't get chewy, and the grease doesn't saturate the bun....

While this process takes a bit longer, and requires tongs, while the burger is "zapping", you can take the next order, or work on other portions of that cusx order.

Always chaffs my arse when I see an LSA take an order from someone, (when there is a line) place the product in the Nuke, and then just sit there for 20-30-45 seconds and WAIT for the item to cook. In the mean time, he cold have taken one or two more orders, and if they were EZ, (beer, soda, etc.) he could have completed that cusx order, (if the next cusx wanted a burger too, he could then "prep" that burger.........and place it on the counter)

I wanted to jump over the counter several X this summer, as more than one LSA stood waiting for the Nuke bell to ding, while they had a line snaking up the SSL staircase...... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back