Best date to ride 50 for foliage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoB

Service Attendant
In May, I rode 51 from NYP to CHI, but unfortunately the most scenic part of the trip was rained out. So I'm planning to fly from New York to Chicago and return on 50 on a Tuesday in November.

From the foliage perspective, would November 15-16 make sense, or should I aim to make my trip a week or two earlier? (Two weeks earlier has the disadvantage of being before the clock change, so sunrise wouldn't be until after Huntington.) I have some flexibility in my schedule, but I can only depart Chicago on a Tuesday.

In May, I rode 51 from NYP to CHI, but unfortunately the most scenic part of the trip was rained out. So I'm planning to fly from New York to Chicago and return on 50 on a Tuesday in November.

From the foliage perspective, would November 15-16 make sense, or should I aim to make my trip a week or two earlier? (Two weeks earlier has the disadvantage of being before the clock change, so sunrise wouldn't be until after Huntington.) I have some flexibility in my schedule, but I can only depart Chicago on a Tuesday.
Although our leaf color changes are a bit delayed this year due to strange weather we are having, by Nov 15 most of the colors will be past peak in the W Va mountains.

Since you are on 50 you still will have a good timing for reaching the New River Gorge area in daylight, even if the train is running late and thus going the first week of November is a better choice. Time changes on Sunday Nov 6 allowing for a sunrise around 6:3O-7am.

I'm near WSS on the Cardinal route.....colors are coming on quick this year......Nov mid month they will be gone I'd think.

Here is my 73 Javelin sitting on the old C&O Greenbrier River branch......Mid/late Oct

JAVELINGBR1-vi.jpg

Even without fall foliage 50 is a nice ride. I did it once in February. Nice trip.
Agreed. I did it last Thursday & Friday. The New River Gorge did not disappoint, even though the weather was drizzly and foggy.....actually the fog added some mystique to the view.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the earliest I can possibly go is November 1; it looks like there's no point in going later than that (if I want to catch the fall foliage), and maybe even that will be too late. Perhaps I'll defer the trip to next year, when I should be free to travel in mid-October (although I was hoping to use an upgrade coupon, and all of my upgrade coupons will have expired by then).

The Cardinal is Amtrak's most scenic Eastern route spring, summer and fall. Every Amtrak railfan should take it at least once. Foliage is now. We've taken it every year for the last three. It ts enjoyable but a long often slow trip to CHI, expensive for sleeper class, the equipment is really beat up, the A/C doesn't work well in the bedrooms, and the diner light provides a reduced food quality than on most LD trains. Use to do some one way trips on the Card to CHI on points but now that the points requirement has soared we will look more closely at the CL. Even with the added NEC run back to PHL its still faster by a few hours. New Viewliner II diner and sleepers are badly needed on this route.

The other option over the scenic new river gorge part of the run is to ride the New River Train. Get first class and ride in private cars. I think this ears train is a total of 30 cars. And only ten belong to Amtrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back