Best direction?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, now we're thinking of doing a circle trip, Emeryville to Chicago, then Chicago to Seattle, then Seattle to San Jose. I think those routes are the CZ, EB, CS, right? Is either direction better? We are also waiting on family availability, so are flexible on dates. Trip of a lifetime!!!!

Coast starlight north will see more mountains in Oregon, empire Builder east will be a better chance for daytime running through Glacier. zephyr is good both directions but I prefer westbound for the best light through the Rockies.

OK, now we're thinking of doing a circle trip, Emeryville to Chicago, then Chicago to Seattle, then Seattle to San Jose. I think those routes are the CZ, EB, CS, right? Is either direction better? We are also waiting on family availability, so are flexible on dates. Trip of a lifetime!!!!
Both choices could make a wonderful trip. I like to choose based on scenery, particularly the Mountain sections.

You can download a current System Timetable on-line at https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/294/1015/Amtrak-System-Timetable-Winter-Spring-2016-rev.pdf

On page 79 of this publication is a map showing which sections of the Western Routes will be in daytime, if the Train is on time.

The Coast Starlight looks better northbound, for daylight between the Oregon Border and Eugene. This stretch may be dark southbound.

The Empire Builder looks better eastbound, for daylight crossing the Cascades. This stretch may be dark westbound except for the final section.

The Zephyr looks as good both ways on the map, so we consider possible delays.

Westbound, we leave Denver around 8 AM for a great view climbing into the Rockies. If a little later, no problem.

Eastbound, we arrive in Denver around 6:30 PM. If the train is delayed very much, the best part of the Rockies will be in the dark.

The Sierra Nevada are very likely to be in daylight in both directions, even with moderate delays.

So my preference based on seeing the Mountains by daylight would be: Bay Area, Seattle, Chicago, and Bay Area, taking this wonderful Loop Trip in the Clockwise direction.

Enjoy!

Climbing west on the CZ into the Rockies out of Denver is delightful

With flexible travel dates, you can economize on train fares by using AnSnag... http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php ...to select the dates having the cheapest fares. Or at least avoid dates with the highest fares, if possible. And fares can fluctuate wildly between any of 5 or 6 different levels as seen on this chart:

LDtrainbucketsi.jpg

Then again, an AmSnag query for far in the future can show an entire 30 day period with no changes at all in any of the fares.

Climbing west on the CZ into the Rockies out of Denver is delightful
Agreed! Big 10 curves are my favorite piece of railroading..... Maybe tied with the Asheville Loops in North Carolina.... Even then... Big 10 is special!

I did that trip in Aug/Sep 2012. We went San Francisco-Seattle-Glacier National Park-Chicago (bunch of other stuff) Chicago-San Francisco.

We were half an hour late out of Emeryville, an hour late out of Sacramento and more or less on time into Klamath Falls. I awoke & it was daylight as we passed Mt Shasta and more or less all the way to Seattle. From Seattle it was light, but getting dark, to the top of Stevens Pass. IMHO this sector would be better in June/July, more light. It was daylight again before Whitefish where we had an extended stop as we were 25 minutes early! So the entire assent of the Rockies, from Whitefish was in daylight, we arrived East Glacier, where we detrained about 10 minutes late. A few days later we left East Glacier on time, it got dark after Wolf Point, then it was light again when I awoke east of St Paul . We arrived Chicago about 30 minutes late.

West bound it got dark between Ottumma & Osceola and light again around Fort Morgan, where were an hour late, we had been 2 hours late due to a broken rail. We were still an hour late out of Denver so it was morning through the Big 10 & Tunnel District and daylight to about Green River, the most spectacular mountain ride, outside Switzerland, I've ever been on. The next morning it was light east of Reno do the whole of the Sierras was in daylight.

Obviously sunrise/sunset times are important so the closer to the longest day you travel the more you will maximize your scenery viewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back