Best (least popular) times to travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glensfallsse

Service Attendant
I'm within a couple of months of retirement. I've saved up a bit so that I can do more train travel once I'm done with the job, and naturally, I'd like to travel during off-peak times so I can spread out the money.
I know enough to avoid the summer travel season, the Thanksgiving holidays, and that a trip to Florida during spring break is probably a bad deal. I'm willing to spend some time hunting around for the best fares, but you can't check two dozen routes for 365 days. I will have more time on my hands, but not that much more time.
So my question is, does anyone know of particular times during the year when ridership is particularly low for a certain route and the best deals can be found? For instance, is mid-October or mid-January a good time? Is April better than May? And how about a trip that runs over the New Year holiday, or another holiday? I'm willing to risk travel during the winter, when weather can be an issue, now that I'm in a financial position to bail myself out with a last-minute flight if needed.

For work calendar reasons I used to make long vacation trips in late January. However, that was when trains were considered to be all-weather transportation. For several years after I retired I went to a Thanksgiving family reunion with extra days before and after the holiday getting low fares and chances to meet with friends and enjoy cultural events.

Mid May used to work as schools not out yet. And the days were long for viewing. Unfortunately last few years that time has been taken full with various family items.

This year with all the mothballed equipment have not even thought to try booking then.

Last edited:
Northern climes are a bear, though.
For me, as a lifelong Floridian, seeing snow outside my window (see avatar) is a real treat. During my last cross country trip in 2019, I spent a day in Chicago on my way home, and the weather was comfortable enough to walk around. (However, in 2011, I rode the Canadian at that time of year and it was -15F in Winnipeg. I only lasted 5 minutes outside until it warmed up to 1 above).

With regard to over the New Year holiday, this last January I took a trip from Deming, NM to New Orleans. When planning for it, I saw that the first day the prices dropped was January 5th, so that is when we started our train trip. The caveat is that it was on the Sunset Limited which runs only 3 times a week, so the prices might have dropped earlier on other routes that run daily.

I too noticed that early December prices are good. I think I saw that they were good through Dec. 10th and then they started climbing. But feel free to check the dates after Dec. 10th because I really don't remember for sure; only that it was early enough that I couldn't justify a "Christmas" trip long enough to get non-high prices for both going and returning trips.

For me, as a lifelong Floridian, seeing snow outside my window (see avatar) is a real treat. During my last cross country trip in 2019, I spent a day in Chicago on my way home, and the weather was comfortable enough to walk around. (However, in 2011, I rode the Canadian at that time of year and it was -15F in Winnipeg. I only lasted 5 minutes outside until it warmed up to 1 above).
That’s the thing about traveling in the off season, sometimes leaving nice weather for foul conditions does not make for an enjoyable trip.

So you would like a source other than Larry Chestler who literally is the person who decides the sequence, timing and funding of restoration of traditional dining, and which trains will get it in what order? Really?

Restoration will happen to all the trains but the first two are the Silvers, everything is after that.

You can have Florida.

Thanks, we’ll take it. Great climate 9 mos. of the year, nice beaches, and where we are traffic is not a problem. But we head for northeast or Colorado in July/August.

It used to be the highest prices to Florida were during the winter season (December-March). With the popularity of the theme parks and general increased mobility of many, we’ve found now the best times to Florida are when the snow birds aren’t traveling (particularly on AutoTrain) and avoiding school holidays and summer vacations. That seems to leave mid September-early October and the first three weeks of May.

Back