Best railfan trip for a Saturday afternoon in NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next Saturday, February 19, I will be in New York City with my sister. She is planning to spend the day with a friend which gives me an opportunity to go railroading. We arrive late Friday night on plane from Chicago, thus may need to sleep in etc. on Saturday. Thus the 11 am start time.

I would be having dinner with them before a show called Dame Edna. I saw that the theater was on 45th street, and am thinking that we would have dinner around 6 to be their in time for the 8 pm show. Thus the 6 pm end time.

Thus I am looking for advice for one rail fan or two that would fit into this time frame. Any New Yorker who want to join me, thats great. Just know that I might not have the same flexibility as when I am alone.

Steve,

Assuming that cost isn't a big factor, then I'd recommend the following for maximum variation.

Catch an 11:14 AM LIRR Far Rockaway train from Penn to Far Rockaway.

Walk approximately 3 blocks to the Far Rockaway station on the A train.

Catch a Far Rockaway A train to Broad Channel. Cross over the bridge to the opposite side and catch the Rockaway Park shuttle and ride that to Rock Park.

Return on the shuttle back to Broad Channel, where you'll once again catch an A train. Now assuming that you didn't arrive into JFK and use the Airtrain, ride the A to Howard Beach and transfer to the JFK Airtrain.

Ride the Airtrain to one of the Central terminals and switch to a Jamiaca bound Airtrain. Ride that of course to Jamaica. At this point you could just return on an LIRR train to Penn, especially if time was getting tight.

However I would try to catch the J train if time permits and ride that back to Manhattan for some great views of Manhattan.

Costs:

$5.25 for the LIRR train.

$14.00 for the subways and the Airtrain all on a Metrocard.

Check your PM for a message from me.

Forget the LIRR, I would go over to GCT and take the Metro-North to Poughkeepsie and back. You can't top the scenery of the Hudson Valley.

Guest said:
Forget the LIRR, I would go over to GCT and take the Metro-North to Poughkeepsie and back. You can't top the scenery of the Hudson Valley.
You're quite right that the scenery along the Hudson is wonderful. :)

I didn't suggest it to Steve, since having been with Steve on a few railfests, I already knew that Steve has taken that ride up the Hudson on Amtrak. In fact just last summer Steve, I, and half a dozen other railfans rode the Maple Leaf to Toronto.

You couldn't have known this, but since I did, I figured that Steve was looking to do something that he hadn't already done.

However I would try to catch the J train if time permits and ride that back to Manhattan for some great views of Manhattan.
I'm flying into La Guardia, week after next to ride the Cardinal. Is there any train service from there to Penn Station that is easy for a "country boy" to navigate? Or, am I better off taking the shuttle bus?

Thanks!!!

MrFSS said:
I'm flying into La Guardia, week after next to ride the Cardinal. Is there any train service from there to Penn Station that is easy for a "country boy" to navigate? Or, am I better off taking the shuttle bus?
Thanks!!!
Sadly, there is no train service at all to LGA. You'd first have to ride a bus in order to reach a subway.

Back