Best Refurbishment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Refurbishment

• Amfleet I Coach/Food Service Concept 2000 (Metroliner)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amfleet I Capstone Coach/Food Service (Acela Regional)

• Amfleet II Coach/Food Service

• Temoinsa Heritage Diner

• Superliner Auto Train Lounge

• Superliner I Coach/Sleeper

• Horizon Coach

• Hi-Level Coach

• Other (please post)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I havent really ridden Amtrak enough to see all these conversions. I took the trip in October 2002 where I got to ride in a great Capstone rebuild Business Class car but my latest trip before that was my trip in June 1997 from Albany to St Louis on the Lake Shore Limited and State House and that was before cars were refurbished. But I would have to say that the Capstone Amfleets are the best Ive seen so far. On the train I took last october a couple of cars looked half refurbished, namly the Food Service cars where they had updated blue seating but still had the original color walls and counters, that looked really cobbed together and I didnt like it at all. To tell ya the truth I didnt really mind the original red seats of the Amfleet cars all that much back in 97 but the cars I have seen recently still left unrefurbished were much more in a state of disrepair then the cars were in 1997.

My Vote:

abr8552interior.jpg

Exterior

abr8505.jpg

abr8505a.jpg

Interior

abr8505interior.jpg

Waiter's Station

abr8505interior2.jpg

Interior

abr8505interior3.jpg

Counter

abr8505interior4.jpg

Interior

abr8505interior5.jpg

Kitchen

abr8505interior6.jpg
\

Its taking cars that are around 50+ Years old and gave them a sleek modern look, that can keep these cars in service until new ones are available, but probably longer. It provides a brighter more clean and comfortable atmosphere than previously.

Really I think I like beer the best, I mean coffee is good but more invigroating than refreshing. Then again wine is nice. The photos are nice, I could drink there maybe a Bud or a Hinny. but Refreshments seems like an odd survey.

er wait

nevermind...

Bill Haithcoat said:
VIewliner, I like those shots, too. Amazing what can be done a with a 50 plus year old.
Thanks Bill, couldn't agree more. I feel most of these are good refurbishments.

My Vote for Worst Refurbishment: Viewliners

-The locks are a little more complicated to use (originally, just turn the lock, in refurbs, it involves a latch)

-In the event of an emergency, and the door is locked its difficult to open the door from the outside of the refurb. In the unrefurbished cars, all you need is a coin or screwdriver to open the door.

-The cars unrefurbished still have a way of locking the door from the outside, pulling the little tab on the outside. In refurbs, the doors are can't be locked from the outside.

and what's most inconvenient/uncomfortable to the passenger in the refurbs...

-The Purple Curtain they replace the white shade with on the door in the refurbs lets in too much light during the night, and makes it hard to sleep, consequently.

Viewliner, I agree with your two complaints on refurbished Viewliners. THe locks are more complicated and could be dangerous to try to get out of in an emergency situation(especially people who are not familiar with the odd locks trains have anyway). The purple shades can bobble back and forth more than the curtain and interfere with privacy---people can look in, in otherwords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back